Public service announcement: Glowforge in hazard zone?

Just saw this post from the US Geological Survey detailing some of the long term risks associated with a future eruption of Mt Rainier. If I am interpreting the map key correctly, Seattle is in the zone indicated as potential targets of lava and pyroclastic flows. While the risks might be low, they are not zero, so I wanted the Glowforge personnel to be aware of this.

http://geology.com/usgs/rainier/

3 Likes

This might be a bigger concern :fearful:

5 Likes

I grew up in California, basically right on top of the San Andreas Fault, and have always been worried that the rest of the country will break off and sink into the ocean.:confounded:

11 Likes

Well now I know I’m not going to visit the Duwamish area of Seattle - I like my terra firma. Liquifaction seems like something out of the movies. :grin:

5 Likes

Until I read the description, I was envisioning lava.:fearful:

2 Likes

That is a great site, glad to see that the city is being transparent about what they know, but am I the only one that is surprised by the fact that they didn’t even include a tab about the volcano next door? Those of us that were around on May 18 1980 know how destructive those Cascade range volcanoes can be! I guess they figure they will have time to warn the people about the likelihood of a lahar ruining their day, so it doesn’t rank high enough on the clear and present danger list to publicize on that site.

2 Likes

FINALLLLY, I will be able to source an endless supply of liquid…hot…MMMAAAGGGMMMAAA!!

10 Likes

Lol me too. Up to JRHS in San Bernadino then 10 years in San Diego in the 90s

1 Like

“Shiva”, that is clever. I have four bedrooms in my house if the team gets displaced. But I do think we all should be putting our heads together for Glowforge Greenbriar in case the worst happens. That way they can still keep working!

3 Likes

Still have my little case of ash when St Helen’s blew.
I am more worried if the Yellowstone caldera gets any more active :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Being in the northwest, the one that gets me more than the volcano is the Cascadia subduction zone. Going to be a really bad day when that one lets loose.

1 Like

Thank goodness we don’t have to worry about volcanoes in Oklahoma…We’ve got most of the other bad things though. Tornadoes, floods, hail storms and now earthquakes…lol

1 Like

As someone who grew up in Seattle - St Helens is not that close. A big eruption might cause some air quality issues, but we aren’t talking lava flowing down Pike St.

Scarier would be if Mt Ranier let loose.

A major earthquake is scarier still, because a lot of the city is built on fill. Newer construction is built with that in mind - my school did some major construction, for example, and they dug these huge pickings way down to make sure the structure was anchored to bedrock - but older buildings especially down around Pioneer Square might not be so well reinforced.

BUT - all these risks are things that you just accept if you live there. Like regularly grey skies. And really gorgeous views. In DC it is motorcades and living and working in high profile targets for terrorism. In tornado alley it’s tornadoes. Chicago has snow and high winds. There’s a risk no matter where you are, so prepare adequately and then move on with your life!

6 Likes

Or, most of the brain trust of Glowforge stuck in an elevator. :grin:

8 Likes

That’ll never happen.

Again, I mean.

19 Likes

I used to work at an insurance company where no more than 2 officers could travel on the same plane. So we’d have to book separate flights when going somewhere…

…and then after waiting for everyone to arrive, we’d all climb into the same rental car. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I can’t wait to go surfing in Arizona Bay :stuck_out_tongue:

With all that may happen in Seattle, why live there?!?! You can get a good cup of coffee anywhere, with less rain.

Oh no, no, no. :pensive:. I am cursed/blessed as being a supertaster. I’m one of the 35% of women (about 15% of men) who is highly sensitive to propylthiouracil (PROP)…bitter, bitter, bitter, ack!

I live in San Diego county…ain’t a decent cup of coffee to be had anywhere [that compares to what I can get in Portland or Seattle. Folks in those parts know their coffee – sans Starbucks, ick (yes, I know, blasphemy!)].

The only place I can get a decent cup of coffee where I live is in my kitchen which came at great cost in the form of a Technivorn Moccamaster and Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder. Further, I can only handle arabica coffee varieties…mainly those grown in Central and South America. Oh, and medium roast, of course.

When it comes to coffee, being a supertaster is more on the curse side of things than the blessing side of things (same with beer with too much hops, ick).

For a supertaster like me, Folgers ain’t ever gonna be the best part of waking up.

10 Likes

Too funny !

1 Like

Sounds like you need to start roasting your own beans. It’s not hard at all.
I wonder if you could do it with a de focused laser? One bean at a time. :grinning:

5 Likes