Purple glow in left side of laser tube AND loud humming/vibrate at beginning/end of job

Oh my!! Ya’ll have no idea how much I have missed bugging you guys! I have had some pretty scary medical issues going on for the first time in my life, and I have literally cried myself to sleep over with literal aches in my heart because of me missing my GF and my GF crew! The whole sha-bang!

I will remove all the unneeded mushy stuff once someone answers, but I have a question.

Maybe it is because the lights are so intense over my GF, and I honestly hope that is why I am seeing this. On the left side of the laser tube there is a purple glow beaming out. It resembles the state of a gas fume. But it is purple. I have heard people say “purple heart” etc, etc. But I have never seen this before. So, it is new to me. I might just be paranoid because I accidentally left the gate open one rainy night which caused my glass door to fog. And I about had a break down over it. I am so protective over my baby. Hoping this is normal.

Also, I will upload a video in a minute. But… Right at the beginning of a job my machine makes this awful vibrating/humming noise at me. And it did not do this before. Any ideas as to what it maybe? I will add a video of the horrific sound from my phone in a few minutes. It sounds awful.

AS ALWAYS, THANK YOU GUYS!! I am so glad I get to bug you guys again!

The machine generates around 12,000-22,000 volts to drive the laser tube. If there is/was condensation in there, I would be absolutely sure it has been fully dissipated before powering it on.

3 Likes

Yes, I definitely did! I went and purchased a dehumidifier, placed it about a foot away from the GF (On a different table) and let it run for two days with the lid open. Still, I wiped everything very thoroughly, onto of a fan blowing onto it. I DEFINATELY paid close attention to every nook and cranny. At least as far as my knowledge went. My glowforge is in a temperature controlled office building. I have the blast gate on it, and then the dryer hose runs about 8 feet to the back wall, on top of another blast gate, before going through drywall, insulation, and then the outer wall to the building. It was about 75 degrees the night it rained, and I accidentally left BOTH blast gates open. Inside of the office the air-conditioning was on. So it was just a bad mixture. I am aware of the dangers. And believe you me… it terrified me. Hopefully, it didn’t do to much damage, if at all any. I braced myself for the worst. And had faith and hope for the best!

1 Like

Did you forget the video?

2 Likes

Thank you for reaching out about the purple glow. When your laser is operating, it is expected to see a purple light in the tube. Based on your description, it sounds like your Glowforge is operating as expected.

We’d be happy to review your videos. Once they are posted, we’ll follow up with more troubleshooting steps for the noise. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.