Puzzle pieces

I’ve been trying to figure out how to make an alphabet puzzle for my daughter. Take a look at the file I created in Inkscape and you can probably guess the couple problems I’m having…

#1, I can’t figure out how to remove the insides of the A,B,D,O,P,Q, and R.
#2, I can’t figure out how to cut the letters without the gap in between. I want the lines between the letters to be one cut, not two.

I know this is probably simple stuff for a lot of you, but I’m still sort of new, so if you could just post a link for a tutorial or to another post that has covered the same problems, I would appreciate it so much!

ALPHABEToutline

4 Likes

First, make sure you turn the letters into vectors. If they are already vectors, they should cut the centers without any adjustment. Make sure you have a very thin stroke, or no fill so you can see the spaces. Another way to see it is to go to outline mode and and use the “edit path by node” tool and the insides and outside lines should light up together when you click them. Since you are cutting them the GF will cut the vector lines. If you are trying to engrave, they should still engrave correctly, but if for some reason, they don’t light up when clicked on together, select the inner and outer vector line together, then use Path - Exclusion.

For number 2 I am not quite sure what you are asking. Are you are asking to connect the letters? If so, to connect the letters, select the letters as vectors and click Path-Union.

2 Likes

I think this tutorial covers the operations you are interested in.

And when you get time be sure to check out all the other tutorials in the Glowforge Tips and Tricks category.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.