QOTD from Glowforge: Before Glowforge, what tools have you used for making things and how do you feel about them?

Thanks, I’ve actually come across this - definitely less of a mouthful than “filament based” or “extrusion based” - good to know!

1 Like

The name Fused Deposition Modeling is trademarked by Stratasys. You’ll also see this type of printing called Fused Filament Forming, which is legally unrestricted and thus more common. Searching either term will get you a ton of info though. Happy printing!

1 Like

Yeah…SLA / DLP printing is kind of a PITA. The dirty secret of that whole industry is that it fails…A LOT. Like A LOT A LOT. Plus, resin is expensive and can’t be recycled like filament can. And lots of that stuff is toxic and needs to be treated as hazardous waste. And a major part of the printer, the vat holding all the resin, is a consumable…which nobody tells you up front. It’s generally an expensive, unreliable mess. But when it works…the results are pretty spectacular!

1 Like

Most of my “making” has been of the “making it work again” repair/modification variety. Very little from scratch creation beyond basic wood working (i.e. making very basic furniture/shelves).
Tools used mostly have been the hand held, power-tool variety such as circular saws, drills and such.

1 Like

A solid education comes with making it work again.
If you take something apart and put it together again enough times, eventually you will have two of them.

2 Likes

I do woodworking with standard hand tools and large power tools (tablesaw, bandsaw, planer, jointer, router, etc.). I primarily build electric and acoustic guitars. I love hand tools, working with chisels, rasps, routers, dovetail saws and spokeshaves. I’m looking forward to using the laser both for template creation and for cutting/engraving.

I call myself an extreme hobbyist. He he.

LASER:
Epilog Zing 24
Glowforge (soon)

CNC:
Cheap chinese 6040
Inventables Carvey (very soon, should ship this month!)

3D:
Makerbot Replicator 2, heavily modified
Cel Robox
Makergear M2, modified with E3Dv6 and auto bedlevelling but still working on it
Stratasys Mojo

SOFTWARE:
VCarve Pro
Mach3
Tingkercad
123Ddesign

3 Likes

That was very helpful…almost went with the Form 2 over the MakerGear M2 (FDM printer.) After reading that, I feel like i got reeeeaally lucky. :slightly_smiling:

Me too.

1 Like

Welcome! Especially to the “sub-club”…people who are in a seemingly small category here…yet still excited about the possibilities. :smile:

1 Like

That is still SUPER DUPER cool!

1 Like

Xacto knives. I work with paper and am excited to move some of my work to the cutter. I tried the Cricket and one other and they pretty much sucked. I am hoping for better results here.

Here is one of my masks that was displayed at the CODA Museum in Apeldoorn. All hand cut. The photography is my wife: Visioluxus.

19 Likes

Very unique!
The forge is really going to be a time saver for you.
The state of mind for that degree of focus is a form of meditation, and your hand, skilled at handling the blade may miss that to a degree… I’m sure you will adapt. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

That’s an incredible mask and a great image!

3 Likes

I only have experience with the Silhouette Cameo. Working with the Cameo has been fun, but getting the little details to come out has been difficult. I can’t wait for our Glowforge to come!

1 Like

That can probably be made with copper, and acid etched…

I am looking forward to not having to cut the same thing a hundred times…and be consistent across the board. On the other hand-hand crafted means exactly that on this mask. Like all knives…this would be another tool in my arsenal.

3 Likes

thank you for your kind words.

1 Like

Bruh, outstanding work!

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve been interested in CNC engravers and cutters for 3 yrs.

Hardware
Cameo Silhouette
Home made CNC machine using 3x Nema 23 + TinyG controller
Smaller demo CNC for workshops 3x Nema 17’s + Arduino uno + Pollou GRBL controller
I use raspberry pi’s for both my CNC home builds
Makerbot Thing-O-Matic 3D printer - still running!
Makerbot Replicator clone 3D printer

Software (I prefer opensource)
Inkscape
Clara.io
Gcode for 3D printers
Chilipeppr
JSCut

Cheers
Iv

6 Likes