QOTD from Glowforge: What do you do with your time (professionally and/or personally)?

Here is another attraction almost all delegates to NYSC get to enjoy. It’s also only a few miles from the camp in wonderful West Virginia. http://www.cassrailroad.com/

1 Like

Greenbank, West Virginia if my memory serves me.

1 Like

Wouldn’t trade it for anything (that I can think of!), @johnwills! There is so much amazing stuff to see just in this country alone that it would take a lifetime to really see and spend the time to appreciate. I’m making a dent but have a lot of tent time to go. The back is starting to feel it though! haha

2013 was the adventure through Big Bend up to Yellowstone and back.

2014 took me north from Houston to Northern Minnesota/BWCA country, west through Dakotas and up to Glacier, then west to Oregon and South down the entire 101 and back through the southwest.

2015 took me from the mouth of the Mississippi River in Louisiana all the way to the headwaters in Minnesota and back - with very few interstate miles included; I tried to stick to all backroads.

I have Minnesota, Oklahoma and New Mexico hunting projects (photographs) scheduled for this year so I’m not 100% sure if a good road trip will work out. Plus, I’ll have my Glowforge in hand by the time of my typical summer road trip trip time, which I need to concentrate on growing that side of the business.

@printolaser: That sounds like such a cool composition! I’ll have to think of something “local” (within Texas, which provides a large local area) to borrow from that idea. I haven’t done it yet but I’ve been meaning to do what would probably have to be a composite (hate compositing photos ugh) of the ISS traversing the Houston skyline, being the space city and all.

2 Likes

Here’s more info about our bigger STEM program. http://www.nysf.com/w/

1 Like

Holy cow, your work is absolutely gorgeous. What a pleasure to see them. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Oh man, it stunned me!
A visual record of Man’s technological evolution, the ongoing Human struggle across time - beautifully illustrated with a single image. I will never forget it.

I would guess an exposure around 7-10 seconds judging by the length of the station trail.(which was centered between the pillars)
I think what stuck me most was the time span of 2 thousand years was instantly conveyed, like a bucket of water in the face.

I’m going to track that puppy down and purchase a copy.

1 Like

Another thing in common other than Bluegrass. I have an Meade 6" LX90, and a couple different old refractors for moon watching. Would love some day to get a big reflector, but that’s after I build my house and I can store easier.

1 Like

I have never been a ‘maker’ however I have no issue pulling things apart and putting them back together to fix something. I am a CAD/CAM/Laser virgin so hopefully I can learn how to use this thing to not blow that investment and find a way to at a minimum pay it off. I have ran the width of commercial building demolition, refurbishment of all the equipment at the grocery store, built houses, done finish wood work in a traditional wood shop setting, comfortable with high and low voltage, rebuilt vehicles dabbled in welding, home made chocolate truffles, and other dessert type foods, I also have a hydroponic garden used to grow food for my rabbit. professionally I work at a large financial company and my team is responsible for the infrastructure used to host VDI and citrix as well as we also maintain the management level of the traditional physical endpoints
my main objective of this purchase as silly as it sounds is to be able to build castles for my chinchillas and possibly find a etsy demand for other chinchilla owners looking for castles lol ya I know not realistic but hey who knows

6 Likes

Welcome @Clone. You joined the forum at a very exciting juncture. We are all just overjoyed to see a beta out in public. Sounds like you are a very clever person, not afraid to try new things.

1 Like

I wouldn’t write it off either - I can’t imagine you will have a lot of competition in the chinchilla castle space; who knows, it could be a vast and hitherto untapped market! :grin:

2 Likes

I recently started a new job, working on VR entertainment software. Neat stuff. I am also a stone’s throw from the GF office, I bet.

1 Like

Very interesting. A man that does handyman types of work for us just returned from working on building a TV studio somewhere in WA. state…and also mentioned doing some stuff with VR, but I know no other details. Small world.

I finally got around to fixing some details with my account so I can post here instead of just lurking. Professionally I’m an engineer-ish (lacking my P.Eng. so not technically an engineer) based out of Kitchener/Waterloo, Canada. Working in the medical device world at the moment but did a mechatronics degree (so know bits and pieces of mechanical/electrical/software).

Hobby-wise I’m mostly into woodworking, although I have started to dabble in machining. I know bits and pieces of various CAD packages but I’m usually guilty of reaching for whichever tool I used last, so if you see someone trying to kludge MATLAB into generating a cut file it’s probably me.

6 Likes

Welcome!
Glad to have you with us. Do some catch up reading and drop into “Show and Tell” and share some pictures with us. We’d love to see 'em!

Thanks! Current project is making a bunch of these for our upcoming wedding:

Now if they can figure out how to make the Glowforge fold paper too that will be a nice trick.

And of course none of paper crafts, photography, or marriage fall under any the hobbies I listed, but I expect excessive project breadth is why many of us want a Glowforge. I’ll see if I can track down some woodworking pictures to post later.

8 Likes

Professionally, I’m an animator/ digital designer (behance.net/iconographixdesign) originally from Thailand but based in Atlanta finishing up my MFA in Animation. I generally do 2D/3D but my passion is also in stop motion, hence the excitement for the glowforge to do all the cool stuff other than use the workshop and laser cutter at school. I’m also the executive director of ASIFA-SOUTH (International Animation Society: www.asifa-south.com) all made of passionate volunteer committee with a mission to enhance STEAM education through free animation workshops for schools and libraries as well as promote diversity/ entertainment law/ entrepreneurship skills for artists. also work with the SIGGRAPH S3 (student services) committee patching student members to industry professionals for portfolio review.

Personally, I love a variety of things especially learning new things which gives me super geek-gasm XD. I’m currently dabbling in AR/ VR/ motion tracking. I also like DIY stuff along and learning about human psychology as well as customer experiences and behavior and this forum has been really interesting for me to see the type of demographic glowforge has as well as how engaging the customer relationship has been from pre-order strategy. The book is also awesomely helpful! I also love dancing (swing/ salsa/ bachata), watching cute animal and inspiring videos on youtube and FOODING (cooking, eating, reading or watching anything about food as long as there is food, especially those miniature food cooking videos). My long term goal is to have a studio farm that is self sustainable where I can animate with friends and have an independent food source where we can get healthy varieties that’s straight farm to table…and I love oysters XD super random…

8 Likes

Professionally: husband and I are both engineers - he works on developing new MRI technology and I do core design for nuclear power. We both started new jobs earlier this year after finishing grad school. Right now he spends a lot of time designing circuits and hardware, while I mostly do computer simulations and writing scripts to process various code and measurement outputs.

Personally: I like to make all the things. I’m pretty into sewing - I make garments and quilts/ pillows and design sewing patterns. We built a 3d printer from a kit last summer (rostock max v2), and we do a lot of tinkering with it making gifts and gadgets and testing what we can print. We’re also slowly renovating most of our house.

3 Likes

Professionally I am an embroidery digitizer. That means that I create those designs that people embroider on stuff, from the simple stuff like a name for a lab coat to entire 3-d creations that are made entirely on the embroidery machine. The latter is my specialty - I figured out how to make an entire Christmas stocking, fully lined and with a cuff, without pre-cutting pattern pieces or using a sewing machine. I’m one part seamstress, one part engineer, one part designer. I can’t wait to integrate the Glowforge into that.

Personally, I am a mom of 3, wife of 1 and keeper of a small zoo (2 dogs and 2 ferrets) while homeschooling the munchkins and running my business.

5 Likes

lol

1 Like

that’s pretty cool. Considering the entire CNC technology (of which the GF is one) came out of the Jacquard Looms, this is very full circle!

1 Like