QOTD from Glowforge: What do you do with your time (professionally and/or personally)?

Never did reply to this one so I figured I would…

Married. Father of 3 (19F, 11F, 8M). If there’s any remaining time after those, I’m a Network Engineer by day. Musician (piano/keys, trumpet, singer). Also DJ/KJ. Basically, there are a few things I’m particularly good at… family, music, and computers. So those are the things I do. :slight_smile:

• Tom
13 Likes

How totally cool! (Had to look up KJ. Bet you’re a hoot at parties!) :wink:

1 Like

Heh. Well, people seem to enjoy me. :wink:
If you’re even in eastern PA, let me know and you can come on out and karaoke with us! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh dear lord, no, you would run screaming…I can’t carry a tune in a bucket. :wink:

3 Likes

There are but 3 facts about karaoke…
1: Nobody’s as bad as they think they are!!!
2: Nobody’s as good as they think they are!!!
3: If you’re not having fun doing it, you’re doing it all wrong. You have fun, everybody has fun.

10 Likes

My parents recorded me singing when I was about 13 (they were proud parents who encouraged that sort of thing)…fortunately for the world, once i heard myself, I never sang again, unless I was alone, or singing quietly in a crowd that could drown me out.

Mom’s a trained operatic singer…I know when to throw in the towel. Chuckle!
(Oddly enough though, she is not any good at karaoke - you have to tone it down to sing karaoke - and that pint sized woman can vibrate glass.)

I have fun with a few other things though, and I still like parties. (Someone has to clap.) :smile:

9 Likes

I had a regular who was a classically-trained singer. She was going to try out for American Idol. She asked me what I thought her chances are. I said “You want the truth or encouragement?” She said “Truth.” I said “You’ve got a great voice. But you can’t break free from your training and let loose and have fun singing. Unfortunately there’s simply no way you’ll make it onto American Idol.” Weeks later she came back. I asked her how it went. She said “They brought me in for a 2nd round but in the end they basically said every single thing you said.”

Every voice has its place to shine!

10 Likes

You may have a point…if Joe Cocker can make it… :wink:

Maybe I’ll sing a bit around the house this afternoon while I run the vacuum …I can do torchy songs (“Santa Baby”, “Cabaret”…just got a very limited range.)

6 Likes

Well, to be fair, he kinda got by with a little help from his friends.

12 Likes

Video or it never happened! :wink:

3 Likes

Not a chance…:wink:

4 Likes

LOL. yes, lol is a complete sentence.

5 Likes

It looks like R2D2 is outstanding in his Field! Ha

1 Like

Perhaps the only thing better than creative endeavors is the ability to encourage and inspire them in others. This may be an investment that truly pays dividends for generations. You GO GIRL!!!

6 Likes

Professionally: I am a retired Deputy US Marshal and now owner of the first and only virtual reality escape room and arcade in Houston www.exitusvr.com. I play virtual reality games all day. Lol

Personally: I am married with 3 dogs and too many cats to count. I enjoy making leather briefcases and working on my 64 & 74 Volkwagen beetles. Life is good! Just sad and totally dissapointed that I have to wait so long for my Glowforge.

6 Likes

That’s so cool! One Glowforge beta user used his machine to prototype a portable escape room - I can’t wait to see what you might do with yours.

2 Likes

Industrial robot programmer currently working in the semiconductor industry in San Jose.

4 Likes

I have to update my entry. Currently I am a laid-off product manager. My last position was in a neat little VR shop, working on music visualizers and slot machine app. Sadly they had to downsize to just devs and artists 'cuz the truth is there is not much money to be made yet in VR. The size of the market is just too small still.

If anyone needs a PM/product designer/strategist or game designer in the Seattle area, drop me a line.

1 Like

Awwww, sorry to hear this. I hope you soon find a new job that is even more awesome.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a drag. Hope you find something soon. :confused:

1 Like