QOTD from Glowforge: What do you do with your time (professionally and/or personally)?

Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome, from an Ex-Texan.

1 Like

numosbk - youā€™re never really an ā€œEx-Texan,ā€ just a relocated on :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome! (from another Texan)

Taste of Texas?

1 Like

Welcome aboard. Hope to see you around the forums more!

Welcome! Great to have a fellow geek (STAR WARS RULZ) among us :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Also, our friend @marmak3261 is also a ministerial type with lots of good ideas. I bet you two could come up with some nice ideas for appropriate visual aids.

3 Likes

Welcome @kennethclapp! Great to have your company. So good to see new members join and enrich the community.

2 Likes

Welcome @kennethclapp ! We all look forward to interacting and learning from you!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, thanks for joining us! :thumbsup:

Professionally: I write code to run UIs / graphics / touchscreens for heavily embedded systemsā€¦mostly automotive and medical devices. The kind of code that would run the GlowForge guts.

On the side: Yeah, Iā€™m a maker. But Iā€™m also a caver and serious banjo picker.

9 Likes

Spelunker? Cool! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, you and @rpegg and I should get together at Glowcon for some music. Welcome!

I would love to pick your brains about the who IoTs issues and security. The media would have us thinking that our house could kidnap us. I know it is a serious issue, but most are articles are big on scare and little on how to protect and ensure they donā€™t get hijacked!

4 Likes

Iā€™m just graduating from Graphic Designā€¦ I didnā€™t like it although I learns a lot so Iā€™m not working on any company for the moment. I unread opened -sort of a very small local company creating gifts and submit stuffā€¦

Personalā€¦ well Iā€™m 23 yo and not doing much however Iā€™m a massive dreamer so hopefully youā€™ll hear soon from me as some of those dreams come true :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Under the heading of ā€œThings you never expect to seeā€ (and why my wife and I both LOVE estate auctions), I ran across a Bushnell 8" Dobsonian mount that people refused to bid on. (Might be the best $25 I ever spent and a big hit with the scout troop as well as the granddaughters.)

5 Likes

Professionally, after a stint in the 4th Infantry Division as anti-armor I moved into management. Then into auto manufacturing where Iā€™ve spent the last 25 years. Currently Iā€™m working for a prominent Italian firearms manufacturer.
Personally, Iā€™ve always had a fascination for all things technical. Iā€™ve been a sketch up evangelist since way before most people knew what it was and installed it on our scout troopā€™s computer to assist in designing Eagle Scout projects. Iā€™ve always loved working with wood though my true joy leans more towards the carving side. Iā€™ve always had a creative side and Iā€™m enjoying exploring everyoneā€™s ideas here until my GF gets delivered.
Since I have been in manufacturing I have an understanding of the delays and problems that can show up in the process, and that is in an established field. I commend Dan for working to establish a new product in an unknown market. (Oh the JOY of the possibilities crowd funding opens up!) I am quite content to wait for a tested product when today our shelves are full of lesser proved products of dubious origins.

I presented this walking stick to my son when he earned his Eagle. He is currently following a long family tradition by serving on active duty in the Army.

26 Likes

Thatā€™s some beautiful hand carving there! (And thanks for your service, and your sonā€™s.) :relaxed:

4 Likes

Thank you.
With my son you can tell that the attention he gets these days kind of embarrasses him. He has asked me if it was like that when I was in or did I get spit on. I laughed and said neither. We were largely ignored, but it is nice to see them appreciated. All of us are more so these days. Thank you. Truly.

7 Likes

Wow, that is a beautiful carving, well done and great design.

3 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like