QOTD from Glowforge: What interests you about the Pro Model

It wasn’t a matter of “new size, guys!” it was a matter of “Well, the machine can cut through up to 1/2” material by flipping it over. So ‘obviously’ the passthrough supports up to 1/2" thick material"

That thinking was erroneous. But finding out the actual 3/8" size doesn’t change my plans drastically.

2 Likes

The penny dropped for me finally. I assumed it would be 1/2 inches through slot. Oh well. I have a basic anyway.

I’m trying to decide if I’m going to do a slotectomy and void my warranty or if I’ll be able to extricate it from its housing and run it naked (probably an interlock or two I’ll have to disable). Of course that would negate the air filter. :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ll wait for the warranty to end and for your tutorial to be posted. :grin:

3 Likes

I suspect the housing is a Major Structural Component and removing it would leave you with a bunch of disconnected components.

3 Likes

That’s really the crux of it. If it’s not, then pulling the housing preserves the warranty :slight_smile: But if it is more than an enclosure with some bits attached then the dremel operation and its warranty killing execution will be the only option.

1 Like

I’m already looking forward to this operation and I’ve been toying with the idea since I bought the thing. As I’m in Europe warranty stuff to the US is a lot of hassle and my experience tells me it’s probably easier to just replace instead of repair… which in this case I’m okay with. At first the thing was going to live in my living room near door to the patio, but now it’s been delayed as much I’m moving before it arrives and it will live in the garage.

2 Likes

That’s my approach too. Especially with something this large and no local dealer support even in the United States. It’s impractical to ship it back for repairs. The alternative would be if they contracted with a national warranty service provider who could fix the thing with parts stocks. But if parts are available I have no issues replacing them myself. So it’s going to come down to the availability of testing & diagnostic protocols or tools and spare parts.

That’s not likely to be the norm though - I’d expect most of GF users won’t be comfortable stripping their laser down. Depending on the design though, enough modularity and a plugin approach to components might make it more user serviceable too.

2 Likes

Many of the same reasons listed above, but in this order:

1. cooling
  2. 45 watt bulb
  3. longer print duration
  4. faster printing
  5. pass through slot
1 Like

I initially ordered the Basic + Filter, but then upgraded to Pro mostly due to the cooling (I’m in southern California and it is hot in my house during the summer) and improved optics/power. The pass-through slot is cool, but I’m not sure how much I’ll actually use it.

2 Likes

I got it for the power (cut speed), and pass through slot. I will promptly be taking the dremel to mine to “enhance” that feature as soon as the warranty is up. Ill post it on youtube for ya :wink:

I canceled my order of the filter, i figure windows are pretty plentiful in my life.

2 Likes

I find it interesting that after all the requests for longer warranty not one person has mentioned the 12 month warranty as a reason for ordering the Pro. My reasons are below.

1. Pass-through
  2. Pass-through
  3. Pass-through
  4. Warranty
  5. Better Cooling

I’m currently considering a downgrade to Basic. While the FAQ still list the pass-through as a Pro feature the common consensus in the forum seems to be that the pass-through feature won’t be ready at release. The holes will obviously be there in the case, but the software won’t be ready. Anyone want to chime in with a contradiction regarding the software?

7 Likes

so… the holes won’t be useless, but the only missing software I could think of would be the auto alignment and continue long cuts. from a hardware perspective you should still be able to put something longer in and cut and engrave the portion in the machine(while wear ing your laser safety glasses naturally) move and then run another manually aligned job on the next section.

so it’s not like the pro will be just a more powerful basic at release, you can physically use larger though thin objects in a pro that won’t fit in a basic.

2 Likes

How did I miss that? Yes it is a huge aspect but I guess I was only thinking about features.

Double the warranty, yes please.

1 Like

It has been stated often that the focus is on the basic, since everything done there works for both. I have never seen it stated to what degree the Pro is being ignored.

But since everything you do in software absolutely must be put through test after test, no matter how simple it seems to be… Quite likely the Pro is being 100% ignored.

Knowing at what point the team will split into Pro and Basic support, or when focus will be given to the Pro… That would be nice.

2 Likes

When @Dan looked at his laser cutter/engraver, which, in all likelihood, was a big boxy beast, and came up with the GF idea I’d lay dollars to doughnuts that having an attractive enclosure that wouldn’t look out of place in an office was one of his CSFs. As someone (Dan?) said, “like an Apple product it just works” and is “pretty” to boot.

It’s more than likely the box is a structural component. Given the first 3D printers were billed as machines that could build themselves, or words to that effect, perhaps GF Inc. will provide mounting templates allowing you to remove the innards and install them into a box of your own making. I wouldn’t mind my GF looking a bit on the steampunk side.

In all seriousness though, no reason why an enterprising tinkerer shouldn’t build a new housing incorporating a “long travel” Z axis, create a “rotary axis” using X or Y, and extend the height of the pass through. I’d call it “GrowForge”

5 Likes

Noted!

4 Likes

I hear you - at some point we’ve thought about having a Class 1 with the Pro innards for education, but shipping first. :slight_smile: It’s in the hopper.[quote=“jamesdhatch, post:36, topic:2519”]
They only need the glasses when the pass-thru door is open.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, CDRH is very clear that if it can be Class 4, it is always Class 4.

This is true.

I drive a 2003 minivan that I bought used 5 years ago. I hear you. :wink:

10 Likes

Unfortunately, CDRH is very clear that if it can be Class 4, it is always Class 4.
[/quote]

So here’s another one for the hopper - a drop-in shell you could put the Pro in that would then prevent access except via the lid like the basic unit. Sort of a docking box. That would allow you to test/certify at the Level 1 spec and Pro users could drag them out to the remote locations some were considering (craft fairs, schools) and use them without making the bystanders put on laser glasses.

Of course if you make an in-between model (Basic +) that has the innards of a Pro without the pass through then that might do as well.

3 Likes

The combination of the pass-through slots and the optical recognition is what I am most excited about. Other lasers have pass-thoughs that are larger, but I don’t see them as useful because if you push something through how will you not get offsets in you next cut.

I am cautiously optimistic that the promised optical recognition of laser position will function and with that and the pass-though I can cut large items. I think this can be a game changer.

I’m planning on cutting 1/4 in. to 3/8 in. plywoods, so the minimal height of the pass-throughs is not a deal breaker. I do wish they were larger but I understand that design is about compromise.

I’ve used 3D printers and CNC wood routers, but there is nothing like a laser cutter to convert my ideas into reality. It happens so quickly.

2 Likes