QOTD from Glowforge: What Proofgrade materials do you want?

I second that. Excellent Idea!

2 Likes

Sign Warehouse has this…I picked up a roll of the 20 inch.

https://www.signwarehouse.com/c/perfectear-plus---medium-tack

10 Likes

Thanks for the link.

I strongly agree - materials that are predictable and uniform (acrylic, standard woods) don’t benefit much from being “proofgrade” and make more sense to source locally from a hardware store or art supply store. Tricky materials, like leather, fancy hardwoods, etc., are worth being proofgrade, shipping, etc.

3 Likes

Yes, veneers! so much potential.

3 Likes

How about the materials to cut and build our own dust cover.

6 Likes

It might be nice to have a leather with a laser safe RFID blocking backing if that is possible seems all the rage in wallets and bags at the moment.

2 Likes

Anything that blocks RFID is going to have to be conductive to some degree, which does limit your laserable choices. Might be doable.

2 Likes

Adding RFID protection to something like a wallet is pretty cheap and easy.
My sister made her wallet out of gaffers tape (after her previous duct tape wallet disintegrated) and put a piece of aluminum foil inside the outer wall.

5 Likes

The 1/8 and 1/4" ply is the most important for me - to make prototypes of new toys I make. I’m really looking forward to experimenting with making gears!

2 Likes

Actually I want 3 mm and 5 mm plywood (we use metric uo here in Canada). I currently manufacture in Taiwan - die cut for now, but soon laser cut here! We use plywood from sustainable sources (one of the things I insist on for my products). I assume the Glowforge will work with the 5 mm ply?

3 Likes

No reason it won’t. I routinely cut 1/4" (we use real measurements here :grinning:) on a 40W Chinese laser which is more like 32W real.

1 Like

Realize all plywood is both metric and Imperial, it just depends on how many times you push the button on the digital calipers. All the numbers on plywood are just made up anyway!

8 Likes

It depends on the species of plys, the surface veneers, and most importantly the chemical composition of the glue. We’ve found that while some ~5mm plywood works, a lot of it doesn’t. Also, many of the glues used have chemicals you may not want to vaporize.

9 Likes

do you know (yet) if the glues selected for proofgrade are food edible ? QBQ(question behind the question) getting 12x20 solid wood a little tougher then plywood but I want to make things for the girls(the chins) and they WILL eat the wood so I’m left with solid wood unless the glue in the ply is good and then again it also depends on the species of wood as not all wood in chin safe

6 Likes

Briefly pictured disembodied chins bouncing around trying to gnaw things… That was…interesting.

8 Likes

I don’t believe we know - we’re still shipping beta materials as we’re not 100% happy yet with everything.

4 Likes

are you going to share?

, don’t know it I want any of that stuff. HAH

OK, I know it is a bad drug joke.

4 Likes

@Clone…is there nothing you can saturate the wood with that will keep them from chewing on it?

(Like the bitter apple spray my folks have to use on the furniture to keep their female pup from eating it…she chews everything to bits, up to and including rocks from the driveway.) :neutral_face:

3 Likes

not even in the least and would defeat the purpose. That spray is candy to a rabbit or chinchilla. In addition to that every thing you give them is sacrificial in the name of dental health. They have continually growing teeth they never stop growing so they need things to chew on. They can chew through wood, stone, and aluminum and everything between. So if you give them something you expect it to be destroyed. So low cost and safe is the way to go treating something doesn’t prevent the problem of the wood or adhesive being toxic because no matter what they will put teeth to it

4 Likes