QOTD from Glowforge: What Proofgrade materials do you want?

I was studying methane production and making polymers derived from growing kelp. After about 10 days, I was startled by the 1 inch diameter by 3 inch long pods that appeared without warning. It reminded me of a scene out of the movie, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. After 2 weeks, my diatomaceous filter was unable to keep up with the removal of breakdown products, and a massive methane generating event occurred.

2 Likes

Rotting kelp smells kind of like sulphur to me, or whatever is eating it seems to put out a sulphur smell.

2 Likes

It is quite awful, indeed !

–Synthetic leather from Modern Meadow. I’ve wanted to support this company, but as a consumer their products are fairly off-limits. I’d like to make a wallet or belts from their products.

–Peelable sticky material, similar to blue tape. Now that GF can cut paper-thin material, I’d love to be able to laser out a complex stencil, peel off the tape, apply it to a surface, then paint through it and remove the tape afterward.

–a CO2 laser-safe vinyl replacement material, which could be used for decoration, or for silkscreening. Not sure if this is possible.

–+1 for a variety of hardwoods and acrylics in different thicknesses. My favorites tend to be 1/4"

–+1 for felt

–+1 for anodized aluminum in different sizes.

–Pre-made glass squares and circles, which could be etched into coasters or other project parts (perhaps in standardized 1x1, 2x2, 3x3" sizes)

–Partner with a fabric provider, to begin adding proofgrade certification to a range of fabric. Common ones that would be nice to see include denim, and good materials for bags or backpacks.

Overall, I think it would be amazing to get to a world where different commodities producers come to you with their materials, and together you could figure out the ideal settings for that particular product. They could then be responsible for shipping and distribution, and the pool of proofgrade materials could grow from 50-500 SKUs (I’m guessing), to easily 10X that amount. The Proofgrade certification would remain strictly managed by you, though.

6 Likes

trotec already sells products like this, even some you can xfer to t-shirts, so it’s totally possible.

3 Likes

My kids would really enjoy a vinyl transfer material, or similar, either to go directly to iron on a shirt.

I would like a soft-sticky backed material (i.e. blue painters tape, or post it not sticky) to use as a masking material.

I’m really excited about the two tone acrylic … I hope there is some that we will receive with the GF. I saw a project today here that they make acrylic boxes for characters inside and engraved the character name on it … would be great for son’s amiibos!

3 Likes

Hopefully this is still the best place to talk about ProofGrade ideas and such :slight_smile:

I have recently been giving great consideration towards upgrading to the pro unit so that I am less limited with designs and products by the size constraints, and recently saw the first pro unit in the wild! :smiley:

It is exciting to see it fully released, and during the post about it, there is a picture of the pass-through slot, which seems to be very specifically for thinner pieces. It made me realize that it may be harder to get materials of high quality that will actually fit (most things that I have thought of working with were more towards the 1/2 inch size with a mirrored cut on the other side to get a full cut).

So I would like to know if there are plans for pro sized ProofGrade boards so that we can have all the helpful aspects of ProofGrade, along with the functionality of the Pro. Such as 20" x [2’, 4’, 6’, or even larger].

@dan if you could put in your two cents about the likelyhood of this, that would be very helpful in my decision process :slight_smile: It is very likely that I will get the upgrade either way, but an extra reason to upgrade is always helpful :smiley:

8 Likes

i’m doubtful they’ll sell more than 3 or 4 feet in one dimension at the very most just because shipping rises dramatically.

4 Likes

Oooo…that’s an idea. Didn’t think about that before. (In my defense I only recently fell in love with PG :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

3 Likes

I know we’ll be able to use 1/4 inch plywoods and acrylics in the slot, but I’ll third the request for some of the larger Proofgrade sheets.

Because :proofgrade:.

6 Likes

Baltic birch is nice but ditto for large sheets of :proofgrade: for the pro.

3 Likes

Giant Proofgrade in the giant hopper!

14 Likes

Awesome! (And Giant is a good name for it.) :smile:

4 Likes

I swear that if they get together and name it something like that MDF that will not be named I will scream!

2 Likes

Lol, you don’t want it called Conscription-Grade?

8 Likes

Exactly! Lol

2 Likes

Conspiracy-Grade? :male_detective:

6 Likes

I got some 2.75 mm 3ply Baltic birch through Amazon that would be cool

Well, now I have ravens on the mind.