Quick way to get an idea on on where to line up design

So here is a method I use to get an idea of where I want to place a design on a piece of material and make sure that it will fit. I am sure there are other methods people use that also work well. Just throwing out what I do.

I was cutting some leather boot cuffs and cut one out and wanted to see if there is space to fit the other. So I set up the material in the glowforge and had the glowforge print a small circle in a spot on the material that I don’t really care about. This is so that I can get some starting coordinates:

^^^ I should have had the top left position coordinate selected for this but of well. I am just getting an estimate.

I then open the glowforge and carefully measure (making sure to not move the leather material) the distance of where the engraved spot is to where I will want the corner of the other boot cuff at.

I then used that measurement to set the top left corner point

And here was the results:

10 Likes

Interesting! When you do your measuring from the circle (photo 2 above), do you make sure the ruler is square to the Glowforge bed (either exactly perpendicular or parallel)? Seems like for exact results, that might be important.

4 Likes

It’s all about the use case. For this specific one I didn’t need to be exact but if someone does need to be spot on then they should. I had about .5 give or take space for accuracy.

4 Likes

Very helpful, thanks!

2 Likes

Excellent idea … thanks for sharing!

2 Likes