Rapidly losing confidence in GlowForge

Who knows. Could be a parts shortage. Might have failed NRTL and need a design update. Might have switched to build first email later. We will probably never know but all the time the days are ticking down to make them and ship them. Current lead time from email is about the same as the time left.

2 Likes

Unless you get a really nice retractable screen they are prone to wrinkles. The wrinkles are visible under the video and will drive you mad. My advice is, once you have lived with your fixed screen for a while, make an honest assessment of whether or not you’d actually retract it if you could.

I went down the same road and realized I never retracted my retractable screen, so I got a fixed screen and was much happier.

My other piece of advice is to get the biggest screen that fits your viewing area. I have never seen someone post, “guys I got the next size up and I really regret it.”

3 Likes

The screen is in front of a bay window. I wouldn’t want to lose the natural light. Currently it has been blocked by the TV. Once everything is done it will be nice to open that back up again.

For the retractable screen I would be looking at a recessed unit with tensioning. Possibly even a dual setup for 16:9 and 2.35:1.

It isn’t a short term project as it will involve rebuilding the wall. The original block walls have been faced with studs and sheetrock but it isn’t deep enough to hold the recessed unit.

100% with you

There are a slew of new forum joiners that have not posted but maybe have read a few posts. Some of them have new Glowforges. I wonder how many. Some tedious searching and connecting some twitter streams and other social media to forum handles reveals quite a few forges delivered that are not reflected at all in forum participation. [Resisting the urge to tag a few and say hello, but sure wish they’d come out and play.]

7 Likes

I just noticed a subtle change in the text of the banner. Didn’t it previously say that campaign orders would be shipped by the end of October? Now it says they will be shipped in October. I take this to mean that no more devices will be shipped in September. It’s basically another delay, although only by a week (or a few, depend on when in October they start shipping again.).

I think this might be a bit of a stretch! Even if they stopped shipping for Sept… it is just a few days!
You might not want to get the tar and feathers out just yet!

It could also mean that Glowforge feel they have sorted out enough of the kinks to greatly increase manufacture with an eye to meeting their obligations (and bizarre definition of ‘shipping’) by the end of October

4 Likes

Doxing!

The spreadsheet shows 70 deliveries out of 428 entries, so up to about 1/6 of customers might have machines and neatly a quarter have emails. That would be a couple of thousand but I have only seen 204 mentions in the forums. I think the speadsheet exaggerates deliveries because it includes quite a few that got their machines early. Still there must be around 90% that don’t mention it here.

But we need to see more than 5 deliveries per day on the spreadsheet to complete it by the end of November. That could be about 100 per day in real life but it doesn’t really matter what the multiplier is. They won’t have made the schedule unless all the people who are visible get machines and that requires a big ramp up in production.

People posit theories like they are filling a big bulk order but really at the rate they need to be shipping that would only be a day or two, two weeks would be more than a thousand. That would be a big order!

Or perhaps you’re imagining things.

1 Like

I literally said that it was only by a week in the same sentence but you ignored that part and needed to add commentary on the first part. Seriously?

1 Like

My experience mirrors this. Its approaching the 4 week mark later this week that I got my shipping email, but no GF shipping yet. It did say 6 weeks to deliver, so I’ll wait till next week to ping them on where it might be if I don’t hear anything.

You could probably post your own Doxed spreadsheet as long as it doesn’t contain names.

Yes but without names the graph has pretty much the same info.

3 Likes

Do you have a chart that shows the number of emails/day or week?

Well, if there is another delay (missed projection) there is a major difference this time. It won’t be in a six month chunk, and - they are shipping product now.
So I guess I’m in the opposite camp, I have increasing confidence in the company.

7 Likes

This is my first time posting anything but I have spent the last two years browsing the forum. I finally received the golden email a few weeks back and currently waiting for the shipping notification. Like others I have thought about cancelling and was on the verge when the email finally came. The delays are frustrating but I look forward to when I finally receive my GlowForge.

On another note GlowForge might be late to deliver but they are not the only ones. Even established billion dollar companies have delays on deliveries. I ordered a new washing machine to replace my other defective unit from another billion dollar company and even canceled my trip to Makerfaire NY because it was scheduled to be delivered on September 23rd. Can anyone guess what happened? They called and rescheduled because they where “out of stock” of the “in stock” item I purchased two weeks before. Now I have to wait another two weeks for delivery. Hope the clean clothes last :weary:

10 Likes

These are the number of emails visible to me on each day.
19/05/17 Fri 6
23/05/17 Tue 5
25/05/17 Thu 1
30/05/17 Tue 6
01/06/17 Thu 4
07/06/17 Wed 2
08/06/17 Thu 3
10/06/17 Sat 1
12/06/17 Mon 5
13/06/17 Tue 3
19/06/17 Mon 2
21/06/17 Wed 2
24/06/17 Sat 1
30/06/17 Fri 1
11/07/17 Tue 1
13/07/17 Thu 1
14/07/17 Fri 1
15/07/17 Sat 1
18/07/17 Tue 1
19/07/17 Wed 1
20/07/17 Thu 1
26/07/17 Wed 1
28/07/17 Fri 7
31/07/17 Mon 2
01/08/17 Tue 5
02/08/17 Wed 1
03/08/17 Thu 1
08/08/17 Tue 2
09/08/17 Wed 2
10/08/17 Thu 4
11/08/17 Fri 3
14/08/17 Mon 8
15/08/17 Tue 2
16/08/17 Wed 5
17/08/17 Thu 4
18/08/17 Fri 4
19/08/17 Sat 1
21/08/17 Mon 8
22/08/17 Tue 7
23/08/17 Wed 2
25/08/17 Fri 1
26/08/17 Sat 1
28/08/17 Mon 4
29/08/17 Tue 4
31/08/17 Thu 5
01/09/17 Fri 5
04/09/17 Mon 2
05/09/17 Tue 2
06/09/17 Wed 1
07/09/17 Thu 1
08/09/17 Fri 7
11/09/17 Mon 2
12/09/17 Tue 1
19/09/17 Tue 2

Summarised by this cumulative graph.

4 Likes

Welcome!
We are very adaptable, I have washed both my clothes and myself in a gas station bathroom sink. :grimacing:

Too bad that Fiasco cost you your Maker Faire experience!

I didn’t email, post, or update the spreadsheet BUT I got my survey weeks ago and the proofgrade came about a week ago (Sept 18th). I do wish there were more messages/updates from GF, but folks are getting them, and the product is amazing. I would be more upset IF I wasn’t seeing 40 watt laser systems with FEWER features selling for 2x+ what I paid!!! I just have SO many things I want to make, I hope it’s here soon, and I hope your able to get your refund or unit. Show me anything like the GF basic for less than $4000 and that would be one thing, but even the pro is a steal compared to what’s out. The Dremel is a year or more out and based on a $5000 40 watt unit.

Peace.

11 Likes

Exactly.
The price was the only reason I could participate at all.

2 Likes