RE: We’ll release a GPL-licensed firmware for Glowforge

is there a wireshark dump out in the wild? if not what if traffic is encrypted

Don’t mistake releasing a copy of the firmware with open source. Don’t remember them saying anything more than promising a single version. Rather have a more mature version than what they have today. For example, want it to include control over the head camera first.

2 Likes

I doubt there is a wireshark dump out there right now.
I am a software developer at my day job and I do get why people are so privacy concerned, but what it comes down to is right now the firmware is most likely still being changed frequently where the cloud software is still in beta. When that all becomes more stable I can see them releasing the firmware. Then those who have the knowhow and free time can start on an offline version of the Glowforge UI.

Most people have stable internet, Glowforge as a company is doing well as far as we know, and I’d trust Google’s server stability over most companies. Because of that I think the GF staff is more concerned with building the advertised features and delivering product.

3 Likes

I’m in embedded systems engineering and while my specialty is BCI I’ve done work on CNC/3D printer code before and I don’t even care if it has so many bugs in it that it doesn’t compile. I started making a gui to do client side prints this morning and already i’m at a point where no more work can be done without knowing how to talk to the thing.

I also don’t know why anyone would even mention waiting when it was clearly stated

5 Likes

as for open source the link used to be

http://blog.glowforge.com/gpl-licensed-open-source-firmware-for-glowforge

2 Likes

You may have made a purchase foolishly then.

It has been stated since day one, you need an internet connection, it is cloud based, it requires the Glowforge servers and if Glowforge ever implodes, they will have released the firmware (which is not a day one timetable nor guaranteed to be fully open sourced).

With Point 3, are you sure he wasn’t talking about a wireless router he backed as a Kickstarter:

Point number 7, Dan has stated recently on the time table:

and

Unless one is in the computer and network security fields, points 2 and 6 kinda don’t make a strong reason for purchasing a Glowforge.

Dan had already stated on the time table

The opposite has been stated

Yes they said when they launch

The original link had the words open source in it

http://blog.glowforge.com/gpl-licensed-open-source-firmware-for-glowforge

I’m trying to find a cached copy of the original page now.

You are correct I don’t know why I assumed CNC router.

I work in BCI prosthetics, embedded security is a huge concern in my field.

1 Like

It was changed the point was the url used to have the words open source in it

1 Like

I think it’s reasonable for folks to expect Glowforge to stand by their word on this one. It was stated strongly and some folks were swayed by this. We probably don’t need to browbeat people into a different point of view or to cancel. (And it’s unlikely to work anyway.)

I would point out, however, that it’s likely Glowforge’s definition of “launch” is different than most English speakers would expect. So you may not get any firmware sources any time soon.

6 Likes

The forum has that same post at:

I think that’s a pretty clear indication is that the best case scenario here no longer includes open source. Best case is now a GPL licensed release of the source code at a point in time. One implies maintainers, pull requests, keeping current, etc. The other does not.

Yes the point was the original link said open source in it

It’s not redundant it has two different meanings.
GPL firmware means a compiled binary blob is released under the GPL license.

open source GPL firmware means the source code itself which is how the binary blob is compiled is available.

literally means the source code is open

1 Like

a GPL release of the source code would be a flavor of open source. Open source doesn’t imply maintainers or anything like that.

2 Likes

Yes, but some folks might expect the firmware sources to be kept current and the old link weakly implied that. The new link and title are more clear on specifically what is promised.

No it doesn’t imply that although it would be nice. The change is clearly a backpedal on the source code being open.

2 Likes

Yep. That’s what I was trying to say. Clearly a backpedal. But I was attempting to give some color about backpedal from what.

2 Likes

I’ll be shocked if Glowforge releases a functional, offline-capable firmware at any point. They haven’t been too keen on losing control over any aspect of the product we funded for them, and there’s absolutely no reason to think they’re going to loosen the reins any time soon.

3 Likes

Seems like people’s desired priorities for Glowforge change when their machine is on the way. It’ll happen. We’ve had to wait this long for machines to start shipping. We can wait a little longer for this firmware.

1 Like

Well except because they said they would, but that doesn’t mean much. It’s understandable they wouldn’t want to because the catalog and proofgrade store are the real money makers, not the glowforge.

1 Like