Discussion of June '17 update

If this is helpful:

or

FAQ on Canceling

2 Likes

This community is way too forgiving and should expect more from a company that raised over $24M. How many times will we be promised delivery and then be told the promise will not be honored? I purchased one of these machines for my daughter’s elementary school. It has taken so long that she has already graduated to middle school, and I’ve run out of things to say to the faculty. Regarding the email that went out today, I believe the abundance of information was an intentional distraction from the information I really need: When will I receive my unit? One final gripe: Why is Dan saying it would further delay deliveries if the staff had to tell us all individually when to expect our units? Certainly if Glowforge is technically savvy enough to build a tool like their laser cutter, they could build a simple database in a few days to keep track of orders and include a simple algorithm to calculate delivery dates and update users via email. IMHO it’s time to stop being so nice and start being more demanding.

8 Likes

There are so many great things in this month’s update! Thank you for taking the time to update us despite your hectic schedules! I look forward every day for my unit! Keep it up guys!! The finish line is in sight!

11 Likes

@dan even better. This means that publishing dates now, with data on hand, will result in updates which reflect the improvements and remove a lot of ambiguity about now or in the next 5 months or so.

2 Likes

Pretty sure every scenario has played out in the minds of each customer. With the exception of delaying development or causing a financial crisis for a company that we need to survive (remember the Glowforge is cloud serviced) just don’t see what demands will buy us. I doubt the company is capable of estimating individual deliveries beyond a few weeks and every instance of a delivery late by 3 days will just require more individual attention. There are literally hundreds of requests in the hopper for improvements and Support changes. Few of which are less important than knowing whether a unit is coming in September or October to me. Just my opinion. There are lots of others.

6 Likes

We plan to maintain the cloud service for many years, and allow for customers to modify their firmware in the future should the cloud service become unavailable.

6 Likes

I am a little miffed that ONCE AGAIN production/delivery has been pushed back into the future. Before it was said hundreds and thousands per month when referring to production. About how great the production facility was (FIRST RATE!).

And then, nearly 3 weeks ago when it was beneficial for Glowforge, they announced the start of production. And that despite the actual order date, production units might well be shipped to “regulars” from this discussion group.

But, @dan cannot (or won’t) discuss the rate of production ramp up, nor will he discuss the mix of basic versus pro production come 1 July 17. Someone said to “hire an intern” to determine (or at least make a well educated guess) as to when, for example # 1258 on the basic Glowforge production list will make it’s way down the production line (+ or minus a week would certainly be OK).

Instead we get more PUSH BACK. I think you might be taking too many lessons from the other Washington when it comes to getting stuff done.

PS. My wife has been on my case for months about “when is that Glowforge thing really coming – I think they have your money and are laughing at all of you”.

Please, please --> give us a better clue as to ratio of production and rate of production.

Brian

6 Likes

@dan I take it the referral bonus is also going to be delayed again along with shipment?

What’s bugging me is the “rebate” I’m supposed to receive for hustling for you and selling 10 other people on waiting for this thing.
I asked if it could be used to upgrade to the pro or filter, or if I could get my refund while I wait. I was told that “It’s in the hopper.”

Well… It never came OUT of the hopper. Which means I’ve been ignored.

Two years. TWO YEARS. And the compensation is meh.

I’ve been buying stock to engrave this entire time so I have a pile of stuff waiting that I can’t sell bc no forge.

My partners are beyond livid with my crap business decision, and I’ve run out of excuses for GF.

Super unpleased.

4 Likes

i’ve seen this request before and never understood it. why would they send you a refund for referrals when that referral could still cancel?

16 Likes

Thanks, @julybighouse and @dan
I
figured that would be the case,
That being said, what I am really trying to figure out though is, I ordered in the first 24 hours of the original campaign, so I would assume I am fairly high in the queue, that being said I was international at the time of order, which put me in a “there will be delays due to regulations” category. Now that I am not in that international group or at least shouldn’t be seeing as I’m in Detroit. Will updating my order result in me being put into the:

1. US queue relative to my order date
  2. to the back of the US queue
  3. is my order stuck in the Canadain queue regardless

Only Support can tell you for sure. Guessing it would be number 1 after you clear it up with Support. But you need to tell Support that you are now in the U.S. Otherwise they would skip over you until deliveries were ready for Canada. Once you have a U.S. address you should be in the U.S. pack with an earlier delivery date.

4 Likes

Likewise… I always understood that if a person wants to upgrade from Basic to Pro, then have the referral discount applied to the Pro, that’s doable.

It’s not a “rebate” or “refund” – it’s a discount off the final price.

7 Likes

Thats what I’d hope.
I’ll update the thread when i hear back from support incase there are any others in a similar situation.

cheers

Ditto

perhaps philosophically but it’s 100% a refund in practice. your laser ships, you get $ back when their laser ships.

either way i find it hard to justify granting it early.

2 Likes

Yup… I had an issue with it when it was announced months ago but got shouted down.

Now I’m just quietly waiting for the next ‘regrettable delay’ announcement before mine gets kicked around by shipping. I really hope it’s not UPS. They’ve left shipments at other businesses because “it looked safe.” And by “it looked safe” they meant the doorstep of a business that was closed and no one around.

definitely ups so far; too bad you have a terrible local route driver. gets pretty frustrating sometimes huh

Yup. Finding out they left $3200 worth of product somewhere just because they couldn’t be arsed in to finding our place warranted a pretty angry phone call, I think. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How many Pro units will be shipping out by June 30th? Is there a way to know what number we are in line? I do realize this sounds childish but I did hope those that ordered before the campaign would have more of a head start with their machines… don’t hate me! lol