Real Madrid Logo (layered acrylic)

First large project and I’m very happy with the outcome. Made with all 1/8" acrylic, it’s 3 layers, and measures approximately 16x11".

36 Likes

Looks Great! Welcome to the Community!

4 Likes

Thank you. Good to be part of it.

3 Likes

That is very nice! I have been having a lot of fun making signs out of acrylic.

It looks like you have it figured out too! I look forward to seeing more creations!!

3 Likes

Thank you. I got another one in the works. Just doing some test cuts with cardboard before doing it on acrylic.

2 Likes

Can I ask why you use to glue/attach the acrylic?

I have used “Goop” for larger pieces, and I am thinking trying “Gorilla Glue” super glue for smaller detail pieces.

The “Goop” takes longer to set and is more forgiving. The “Gorilla Glue” is almost instantly set, so you have to get it right the first time.

2 Likes

For Acrylic on Acrylic
SciGrip Weld-On Acrylic Glue.

2 Likes

For smaller thin pieces I’ve bought weld on 3 so once lined up you can glue it on the sides

Beautiful job.

2 Likes

Beautiful job, really like the colors that you chose. :grinning:

3 Likes

Welcome. What a beautiful logo.

3 Likes

Looks fantastic!

3 Likes

That is very impressive! Excellent work!

1 Like

Wow! One of the best pieces of acrylic inlay I’ve seen!

1 Like

Very nice! Super clean and crisp. Well done

Truly gorgeous! Acrylic is my #1 favorite material and press-fitting / inlay is my #1 favorite process with it…but, I’ve not achieved anything quite so wonderful as this.

2 Likes

Thank you. Took a few hours to get the SVG file ready and then some. After that I did a test cut on cardboard to see if everything lined up. Corrected some areas and sent to print. First Acrylic project and with the size I’m truly excited to do more.

Do you happen to know of any resources you could point me to learn how to do press fitting/inlay with acrylic? I didn’t even know what it was called, but it’s a style I’ve seen in jewelry that I wanted to try to learn. Thanks!

Maybe this will help as I did not adjust for the kerf when doing this piece.

1 Like

I have done this a lot, here are some tips.

If you are doing simple shapes, like cutting out a hole and popping another piece in to it, you just need to make the inner piece slightly bigger. Use the Offset Path function in Illustrator to add + 0.007" to +0.008". (That’s the kerf width–the width of the beam itself. The exact value depends on what you are cutting but that’s the right range for 1/8" acrylic and plywood.)

I used that method to make this sign. Of course, the insides of the letters needed the same kind of compensation. It’s easy to get mixed up so figure out a method to organize the shapes you have processed.

If you are doing more complex things where multiple pieces are in contact with each other, then the simple method won’t work. You need to adjust each piece. Look at this test. The hole was made smaller by 0.004". Each piece that fits inside the hole was made bigger by 0.004.

This method was required to make the 2-part hummingbird on this journal cover.

Other notes

• No matter how carefully you do this sometimes parts, especially little parts, will have a little variation that makes them easier or harder to plug in. Cut more copies than you need when making tiny parts. And you may want to flip shapes upside down, or try plugging in from either side.
  • Sometimes part of a project fits well and part is too loose, or too tight. One copy can feel different than another, even cut off the same sheet. A change of 0.001 in the kerf makes a difference you can feel, so the slightest change in the material height or composition matters. So it goes. When it doubt cut a bit looser because you can glue a loose part but a tight part is completely useless.
  • E6000 glue is good for acrylic, wood glue for plywood.
  • Peeling masking off tiny parts is NO FUN. Experiment with cutting without masking, you may find it works OK and saves you a lot of time.
  • A large acrylic project may look a little warped after assembly. The tighter the fits, the more this will happen. Make the fit as loose as you can to meet your needs. If you are doing a big piece, you may even want to heat it to get it to lie flat. A few dots of glue in the project is better than having a project that won’t lay flat because the pieces are super tight.
  • In Illustrator you use Object>Path>Offset Path to adjust size. It will make a copy of the shape. Zoom in and delete the original shape. This operation is also possible in Inkscape but I forget the name of the command. There is no exact Offset Path tool in Affinity Designer. (Well you can add stroke thickness and then “expand,” I think, but you would need to play with it.)
  • In Illustrator some commands don’t actually change the underlying object, they just change its appearance. You may need to do Object>Expand Appearance. Here’s what rounded corners look like before and after.

Other discussion here:

One other thing to think about: press-fit flush looks nice but you can also use engraving to make a “socket” for another part, if you want the piece to have depth. (This was an early test, I used points instead of mils in the notes.)

5 Likes