Recently having issues cutting GF proof materials and alignment

I have had my machine for a couple of months now and I have not really had any issues until recently. Over the last couple of weeks I have had the following issues:

1. Alignment - Where I place the object and where it cuts are two separate things these days. There seems to be an alignment issue.

2. Cutting through - I have purchased a lot of GF Proof material lately and in the last couple of days wasted 6+ sheets. It’s not cutting through anymore. I even did the gift of good measure and that didn’t cut through. I have tried GF and non-GF materials and I get the same results. The only way to cut through is to set the thing to full power and 110 speed.

3. Flames - Lots and lots of flames. Everything I cut has me standing there with a fire extinguisher because the flames are so high. If I pause it, flame goes away (obviously) but when it’s cutting, it almost looks like it’s going to melt the head of the laser.

Help! :slight_smile:

PS. I would post pictures but I don’t know how to on here :expressionless:

Did you run the camera calibration process?

When did you last clean the optics?

1 Like

I have not run the calibration (don’t know how to) and I clean it every day (I was using it at least 8 hours a day since I got it so it gets dirty)

simply power cycling the unit may solve some of your alignment issues. but to really get to as good as it gets, run the camera calibration routine. details are not hidden.

1 Like

Follow these directions:

https://app.glowforge.com/maintenance/camera-recalibrator

Also, have you checked to see if the air assist fan is running?

2 Likes

The fan is running and I will go try the alignment process. That may solve 1 of the issues which is great however I would love to figure out the other 2 issues as well :slight_smile:

When you clean, you need to make sure you are wiping all of the windows, and some of them are pretty well hidden. There are instructions here on what to clean and how often. (If you are running that thing for 8 hours a day, it’s going to need frequent cleaning to keep it cutting through…might be part of the problem.) The other thing to check is that the material is always pinned down flat…use the Honeycomb Pins.

Make sure your air assist fan is blowing strong. You should see the smoke and flames blow forward towards the front of the machine when the job is running. If you don’t see that, you might need to clean the air assist fan. Instructions for that are here.

3 Likes

Have you accidentally put the main lens in backward? :grimacing: That alone will cause the problems you are seeing, Remember, remember, Cup side up! :nerd_face:.

If you have a photo on your computer, you can drag and drop it straight to your note here. Any flame at all will block the laser so the flame alone will ruin a piece by not cutting through.

Magnetic fields will mess up the head fan especially, but any metal traveling in a magnetic field can cause a problem of the resultant electrical potential. having unshielded magnets holding your work down will make the fan stop or slow and cause flames.

3 Likes

Thanks all. I ran the alignment and it’s better but not perfect. I do clean the lenses daily so hopefully that’s not an issue. Let me see if I can drop some of these photos here to show you what I am seeing:

This is after the calibration test. Seems off on one side yet :expressionless:

Offset 02

And this is the flame (this is small comparatively)

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag!

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.