Recipe Box

Idea is for 3x5 index cards, which some people still use ;). You can put the card in the top in the slot so you can see it while you are making whatever it is. I made dividers foir the inside, it is a bit tricky since thin plywood is expensive, not sure what the best solution is. This time I made it with paper and a printer, using spray adhestive to glue to thin pieces of chipboard. I cut it on the cricut though and not the laser.

Used boxes.py to make the box: HingeBox - Boxes

Here is a link to the AI file on drive, since it is too big to include here. has images for the various dividers in there.

Recipie box - 3mm inside top Recipie box 1 3mm Recipie box 2 3mm Recipie box divers 2 Recipie box divers 3 Recipie box dividers

Enjoy!
David.

58 Likes

Using the Glowforge to make a “retro” recipe box is a special kind of practical cut. Thank you for the file!

10 Likes

Very nice share David, thank you. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

That is a nice box, but I like even more how you included the insert tab card designs as well. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing!

10 Likes

Cool idea, nice dividers, and I love how you can put the card you are using on top–that is great! Thank you for sharing your design!

3 Likes

thanks

2 Likes

Thank you! I have some 3 x 5 recipe cards around here somewhere, this will be handy!

Is “recipies” an inside joke?

6 Likes

Very nice looking! The place to hold the card you are reading is a great touch. I wonder if the 1/16" or so heavy cardboard would do for those dividers as they would not get the abuse that the box would and could be sealed with acrylic spray if extra strength is desired.

3 Likes

I don’t have a laminator, but I was thinking a laminated sheet and then cut on the cricut/laser would work. Not sure if lamination pieces are nasty for laser cutting.

I used chipboard, a fairly thin one it is about 1mm, worked fairly well for the dividers. Not perfect still.

I hope so. That was a deft way to point out the mispelling.

Nice share though. Nice box.

3 Likes

Even in 2020 folks still need a recipe box. The recipes always seem better analog! Plus, the recipe cards get stained from cooking and there is a real authenticity to that. Nice share! Great box!

3 Likes

Absolutely! Not only grandma’s recipe, but her fingerprints rendered in egg and flour as well. My wife has some handed down with multiple generations on them.

7 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

My wife thanks you!!!

3 Likes

Personal experience:
better to oversaturate the paper and then use wax paper and a couple of heavy books.
Comes out perfect every time.

Cute design BTW

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Love it :grinning:

1 Like

Splashing some food on a paper recipe adds authenticity… splashing food onto an iPad doesn’t.

+1 for hard copy recipes.

8 Likes

Totally agree! I think people though cooking with devices would be a panacea and all it really did was smudge your phone. I sometimes do cook with my phone and I find it very inconvenient. I keep having to put int he passcode with dirty fingers…ug.

3 Likes

This is very nice! Kind of you to share! I have a couple of my Mom’s boxes, and I always had a little pouch of like 25 cards for myself.

When I started collecting out of magazines or from people, I had this HUGE stack. Finally resorted to buying four 2" binders, and broke those up into categories each with a different color of cover slid into the clear windows. Then put them in sleeves. Which was a huge effort, but, was so much better than going through my 14" stack of papers every time I wanted to find a recipe. This has worked out great for me.

Still, makes me want to make one. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for the share. Just what I was looking for.

1 Like