Recovering from PVC Cuts and Engraves

hmm. I was just curious.

I mean…I was anxious and nervous when I was tearing it apart and doing all the cleaning…I had no idea if my method was going to work…I just Googled removing corrosion from a circuit board…got lost in a random thread that used the method on a different kind if board…I just adapted the method to my GF Pro.

I had no idea. It was sheer luck and determination that made it happen. Well, maybe a little confidence too…

If this didn’t work…I was literally going to throw my GF in the dumpster and walk away from the $6k…So…in my mind…it was a last ditch effort to salvage the machine…

I about messed myself when I heard the motors clicking again. I literally did 3 laps around the outside of the house yelling “it worked. It freaking worked!”

LMAO

Good Times.

9 Likes

6 Likes

When that is the only alternative, almost any action is justified.

3 Likes

I will be honest, I didn’t realize that left side panel came off so easily until I saw yours. Now I am for sure going to start getting more into taking apart my machine for some simple cleaning (not going to mess with anything around the circuit board). I had been wanting to clean out that left side of mine and just have a fan bow dust out but I didn’t realize it was so easily accessible.

Maybe people are just to use to apple design of systems and do not realize how different glowforge is when it comes to right to repair.

How is it different?

Apple is very closed loop on repair, unusual screws, seals that once you break, apple will not repair you device - very proprietary parts – as a macgeek, I’ve been at this since '84

Glowforge on the flip side allows free flow of information, about there product
and may not ‘approve’ of things we do, but never censors.

JMHO

2 Likes

Apple is very, very restricted in what you can do…

I tried to jailbreak an iPhone back in the day…ended up bricking the phone! they DO NOT want you messing around the inside of their machines…hardware or software lol

Android…on the other hand…I can tear apart, reassemble - rip out the Kernal, replace it, modify it and even…write my own code for it…still works

Personally, I am not an Apple fan…it’s too simple of a device. They have some amazing technology…like the M1 chip…that thing is beautiful in almost every way…but it further cements Apple into the direction they are going…which is to limit users like you and I what we can and cannot do with the device…which - I don’t necessairly agree with.

But…I’m just an odd duck that constantly questions how things work and why they work the way they do…I want the freedom do modify/repair the device I own - regardless of who made it.

When I opened the GF for the first time…I was expecting a whole slew of technology that I knew nothing about…only to find out…it’s actually a pretty simple setup (no offense GF). I thought that powering a laser was way more complicated…I’m sure on the coding and software side…it’s EXTREMELY complicated…but the hardware side is pretty simple…when compared to other pieces of technology.

5 Likes

Exactly as @Deleted and @kory.fransen put it. The rules on right to repair are changing and getting much better. One of the reasons for the change is the issue of e-waist. I know, I am bringing up e-waist again…The other big mover of R2R is farmers. Check out John Deere and right to repair. Its crazy.

I have to say, I have been really impressed with the glowforge design and it is something that people take different amount of time to get comfortable with. Its software is also impressive and improving, which is exciting :slight_smile:

I realize this may have come across a little…backhanded…

The GF is an amazing machine packed with tons of technology. The fact GF is able to make a machine that can generate, bounce, magnify and then utilize a laser…just feels like something from the future and is a feat not many can say they’ve accomplished.

Whoever thought about this and then developed it into what it is today should be revered for their sheer intelligence and application of that intelligence. It is something to be proud of for sure.

What I meant was…for me…I assumed there was more to it. I was surprised at the simplicity of it…at least on the left side…the right side is probably a whole different story.

Anyway - I didn’t mean to come across as crass about GF or their design of the GF…no matter how critical I seem to be (in the past and now).

3 Likes

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Or maybe I’ve had a stroke, because I don’t understand anything you’re saying.

But let’s see how Glowforge stacks up against repair.org’s list of policy objectives:

1. Information:
  • Manuals: Make publicly accessible standardized service manuals in an electronic format.

Glowforge: No

• Schematics and circuit diagrams: Make semiconductor diagrams and data sheets publicly accessible.

• Software updates: Allow owners and independent service providers access to machine code and firmware patches and fixes.

• Licenses: Make all contracts clearly identify which elements of the machine are not included in the sale. Do not allow companies to create contract language (End User License Agreements) that modify or limit support options in the future.

1. Parts + Tools : Make service parts and tools available at non-discriminatory pricing to equipment owners and third parties.
  • Patents: Encourage patent licenses to produce repair parts and tools available under fair licensing terms.

• Diagnostics: Make troubleshooting and diagnostic tools, codes, and service software available.

1. Unlocking : Legalize unlocking, adapting, and modifying any part of the machine, including software.

1. Design : Integrate Design for Repair principles into eco-design product design practices.

Glowforge right to repair overall score: Zero.

5 Likes

Well, they don’t want to hand over the keys to the kingdom. if all that was out Yakachaki lasers can make a glowforge quality machine for 1/2 and undercut glowforge - Great for consumers, NOT so great for glowforge.

There has to be a happy medium, - you can buy glowforge parts and replace them yourself
would be what I would like to see from the company, and a local server, that’s not internet dependent, OH and a Ethernet port and then I woke up.

2 Likes

Soooooo……I think the most respectful way to leave a response is to say to research into professional engineering license and evaluate. If you have any questions, please feel free to DM me or publicly respond (whichever is more comfortable). I do recommend looking into the National institute for engineering ethics and do an analysis. I do not believe you have correct understanding of R2R and I don’t think glowforge is acting in a way to be reported, as in the case you had presented. I do not view the company as one to not be upholding the recently direction in laws and public favor. But what do I know, I am just……….

1 Like

I do have a question: what is your understanding of “Right to Repair”?

1 Like

Others failed perception is their own lack of understanding :slight_smile:
But all honestly, you did a great job with the reword on the GF and it’s important to recognize the support/insight GF provided (which you did).

I think it might be good for more people to feel comfortable with reaching out to GF support or use the community forums, like you did. There is a ton of great information on the GF forums. But yet, there are the trolls as well.

1 Like

This is probably the best advice for any newbie or beginner.

If I had done this and read more before I just started cutting and engraving random materials…I might not of had the mishap with the vinyl…BUT…on the flipside…If I had, then I wouldn’t have been able to develop a method of recovering from it - and then nobody would ever know how to do it…

Everything happens for a reason. I do not believe in coincidence. For some reason, I was the lucky one fated to have this happen…and then be forced to develop a method to repair it…

I mean…GlowForge…If you’re interested, I want to come work for you and repair all the vinyl damaged machines that come your way! Seriously.

I’d imagine you probably already have a ton of people doing that…but still…it would be fun…OR…maybe a licensed contractor that can repair vinyl damaged units…just saying :wink:

2 Likes

I think the best way to lead is one by example. I am almost done with my case study for my students for this year and I will send you the link for the ethical training.

Anyone reading this post, please look into actual standard on R2R (not peoples perception of R2R). I recommend looking at sources that are actually form professional organization. If you feel the current laws/regulations/recommendation of organization are not what they should, just know that you actually have the ability to change things and can change laws/standards by taking part of these committees. Reach out to organizations such as NIEE and work to change things or gain a better understanding. My response to surface questions like @chris1 could possibly help him in understanding (yet likely not). Engineering ethics is fascinating because it is a moving target and best addressed when you understand that things like R2R is an evolving and more complicating topic. Join local standards committees and if you need recommendations on who to contact, let me know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Since you couldn’t answer the question, I’ll do it for you. Right to Repair is a campaign to legislate access to information, tools, and parts needed for consumers and independent repair shops to be able to fix their devices.

2 Likes

be careful @chris1 … if @MyDogsThinkImCrazy is doing a case study on R2R…She is going to have a much greater understanding than you might think…

If you play with fire…you’re going to get burned :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Not sure what your point is here. Here is mine:

• Someone said Glowforge is “different when it comes to right to repair”
  • I asked how they were different
  • The response didn’t even make any sense, let alone attempt to answer the question (“The rules on right to repair are changing and getting much better. One of the reasons for the change is the issue of e-waist”)
  • I supplied a detailed list of positions from a Right to Repair advocacy group and demonstrated that Glowforge does none of the things they are asking for
  • I was condescended to and told that I don’t have a correct understanding of right to repair and that I could ask if I have any questions
  • I asked for an understanding of right to repair
  • I once again received an incredibly condescending reply that had no information addressing the question
  • I demonstrated that I can answer the question with a single, accurate, one sentence summary.

I know what Right to Repair means. I have been following it since it’s inception. And I have been following Glowforge, and this forum, since their inception. Including the many debates over open access to the software and hardware. All I wanted was an example of how Glowforge is different when it comes to right to repair, because I don’t see it. Instead I got insulted. And I admit I don’t take insults well. It’s a character flaw I’m trying to work on.

2 Likes

I’m a bit befuddled by this comment?

1 Like