Red Magic Button HELP!

Help! I just printed something on PG Medium Black Acrylic. It ran fine. It was only about 7 minutes.
But when it finished it left the magic button glowing bright RED. I shut it down for now but can you please let me know if i can still print or need to do anything else?
We’ve had it about 6 weeks with no major issues, but this is a first. Thank you!

p.s. I let it sit for a bit and restarted everything. It seems to be working well now.

Not sure what a red light means, (it might just be a dodgy signal light), but wait to see what support has to say about it. It might be something new. :slightly_smiling_face:

thank you

I’m so sorry you hit a snag!

The team will be along shortly with more detailed troubleshooting but I wanted to provide some quick information along with a few quick next steps.

As a bit of background, you shouldn’t ever see the button actually turn red. Teal indicates your Glowforge is in WiFi setup mode, Green and Blue are both used during factory reset, and Purple generally indicates that your Glowforge is in a recovery mode. Red is only used during factory testing and doesn’t match up to any errors you should be experiencing.

That isn’t to say that your button didn’t turn red! When we see people report a red button, we’ve found it to be one of two causes - The button has turned Yellow / Amber which in some lighting and from some angles can look reddish, or, part of the RGB LED in the button itself isn’t working and the normal white glow is now red.

Neither of these are particularly concerning things, so while it’s certainly possible that something else is happening, the next thing that we’d like you to do is to run a short test print on a piece of Proofgrade material (it can be a simple circle cut, it doesn’t have to be a long print) and take a video of what occurs during that print.

Once we have a chance to look at that we can advise on next steps.

6 Likes

Attachment available until Jun 28, 2020

Hi Jae,

Thank you for the reply. It’s seems to be working ok now. I was finally able to get a video short enough to email. The light has not been red since my first print today.

Thank you again,
Laurie

Click to Download

IMG_1641.MOV
29.2 MB

I haven’t read every post here, but close, and this is the first time I have seen what all the colors correspond to. Thanks for that @jae!
Begs the question - what is recovery mode?

5 Likes

There is a reset procedure that shouldn’t be performed unless support specifically instructs you to. Likely that.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing the video. I’m glad to hear that you’ve been able to continue printing without running into any trouble!

Color can sometimes come through differently on video, so I wanted to double-check something. In the video, your button appears to be a light purple color while printing. Does that description match the color the button appears to be when your unit is printing?

Hi Ivan,

Yes it’s always that color when i print. It’s been that way since we got it in April.

Laurie

Hey Ivan,
If my Glowforge is in recover mode, is there anything I can do to get it out of that? I left it off all weekend to let it rest and it is still lighting bright purple when printing.

Thank you for taking the time to work through the instructions my colleague Ivan provided, and for attaching the recording to this forum thread. Based on the video, and the logs we’ve extracted from your Glowforge, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely.

I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

Thank you Marc!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.