Remote Control Peek-A-Boo

I revisited a project I designed almost 3 years ago (Peek-A-Boo Mousie) which uses an elevator scissors mechanism to reveal a cat toy. To be honest, I didn’t get much engagement from the cats with it and I grew tired of operating the lever.

I really wanted to figure out a way to trigger it by remote control so I could surprise the cats at random times and maybe get some interaction.

I stumbled across these inexpensive ($7 for the remote and a small circuit board) devices on Amazon (Wireless RF Remote Control) but I still needed a mechanism to drive it with. Enter the “Scotch Yoke.”

Well, a lot of trial-and-error plus many hours of refactoring the original design, I finally built it this morning. It works great. Don’t know if I can convince the cats, but I enjoy seeing the mouse pop up with a press of a button!

39 Likes

I rec’d this just for the battery hold-down device; very elegant.

Love the mouse pop-up mechanics though it would be a 1-use toy at my house.

18 Likes

Would be fun to put a Halloween decoration in it too!

15 Likes

How fun! Love it.

14 Likes

The things we do for our cats. Fun modification of an interesting design.

12 Likes

This is so fun! And a great upgrade from the original.

11 Likes

Very cool! What a lot of work to design that (well, for me anyway, probably not for you!). Think of all the possibilities - Valentine’s Day, birthdays…

9 Likes

Fun print

5 Likes

You’re too kind. Believe me, it was a lot of work to get it figured out. I envy people who have the aptitude to design this stuff easily!

7 Likes

Dang, my cats don’t get Valentine’s Day. I must be doing something wrong. :kissing_cat:

8 Likes

Love the interchangeable aspect.

Well done overall too

6 Likes

Some made skills on display here.

11 Likes

Great job!

7 Likes

What an amazing build! Now I’ve got to get me one of those remote control thingys. Trying to come up with an application…

8 Likes

That is clearly a project that’s gonna get a lot of smiles.

7 Likes

I wasn’t thinking pets, I was thinking kids, etc. :slight_smile:

4 Likes