Peek-A-Boo Mousie

Well, a year ago I designed a “whack-a-mole” toy for my cat (https://community.glowforge.com/t/whack-a-mole/71577). It received a lukewarm reception from the cat population in my house and has gathered dust for a long time.

So, a year later, I decided to try again and came up with a smaller toy that is intended to be operated by a person and only features one toy, not five.

Let’s call this one “Peek-A-Boo Mousie”.

It employs a scissors mechanism and split doors from which the mouse appears. I engineered it to automatically close the doors when the mouse descends. Most importantly, it embraces a magnet on the platform so that you can switch out the toy that appears. Simply hot glue a steel washer to the bottom of a cat toy and you’re good to go.

So far, the jaded cat population in my home has shown only a mild interest. But that’s okay because I had fun designing it and can see using this type of mechanism in other projects.

41 Likes

Hm, this is good. What’s the mechanism that pulls the door closed? A hook of some sort?

3 Likes

that’s so cool, I love the lift system you designed there, and the self-closing lids. Great mechanics, love it!

3 Likes

Not shown in the Sketchup illustration is a string that extends down from the two levers on the doors to a fixed point on the rear center of the platform. It needs to be exactly 5.25" long.

3 Likes

Cool mechanism, nice work!

5 Likes

Love it. That could be used in kids mode easily!

3 Likes

Oh gosh, that is just sooooo cool! Your cats just don’t know how lucky they are.

5 Likes

That’s really cool! I love the idea of attaching the mouse with a magnet. That way the cat can swat it off of there and feel like a winner :trophy:

6 Likes

I love it! Maybe you could get input from some different cats to get the well- deserved enthusiasm for this toy!

5 Likes

Very cute, and love that it involves a magnet to hold the toy.

4 Likes