Renewed Optimism - Small Box

Alright last one until paint.
The man admires it and was having a rough evening, so I customized. But I accidentally mixed one era of ship with a totally other era of insignia, which is, apparently, bad.
He will probably like it and use it anyway.

37 Likes

Thanks for sharing - that’s fantastic! What a terrific design.

4 Likes

I hate to admit that I don’t know how to download your file. I get a .png file of your picture, but no sign of a svg file. I really like how universal your design is, so that we can customize it. This what I see.

If you are looking at it from a mobile device (phone or tablet), it probably won’t work.

Depending on your web browser, there are different ways.

In Chrome, right clicking allows you to “Save Image As” and once you have left clicked on “Save Image As” it should save that it is saving as a .svg

In Internet Explorer, you have to get an SVG plugin for it to display and then you can do a “Save As”.

In Firefox, it is similar to Chrome, but you must choose “Save Image As”

3 Likes

Thank you. I installed Chrome and it works like a champ. Thanks again. :smiley:

6 Likes

Funny how it seems more and more that some problems are due to certain browsers. I normally use Safari, but not long ago I couldn’t zoom in any more than 150% without losing complete sight of the GF bed. Per support’s suggestion, I opened the UI with Chrome and the problem was solved. I still use Safari, but have Chrome set up as the default browser to use exclusively with the GF app.

5 Likes

The forum removes style sections from SVGs, so it is better to ZIP them if your design software outputs them.

4 Likes

That’s good to know. So the SVG we post here get stripped of their information, but if I go directly from InkScape to GF UI, then it should work.

3 Likes

I don’t think there is a problem with InkScape files because I think it puts the fill and stroke data in the path statements, but certainly some SVGs that get posted here have that info redirected to a style section and that gets stripped by the forum.

It is only a problem when it is downloaded as an image from the forum. If it is contained in a ZIP it isn’t affected. Direct to the GFUI should not be a problem.

6 Likes

Long press the image and pick download in Android. It will call it an image (as in download image) but it will save it in your download folder as an SVG file.

4 Likes

I annealed the acrylic and painted the wood.

I am digging this design.

41 Likes

Those look fabulous! Thanks for trying them out. I’m digging the star trek themes! I love to see how others remix my stuff.

9 Likes

Oh, @polarbrainfreeze, now look what you’ve started. Please start more!!

@cmreader, I love your take on the design.

6 Likes

Oh I am so going to remix this with inserts! Great design @polarbrainfreeze

4 Likes

Very nice share! I’m going to try and cut it tonight. FWIW, I saved the file then opened it directly into Coreldraw X7 and the sizing was spot-on.

4 Likes

That’s because Corel is best :smile:

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Here is the Small Box that I made (with the help of several Glowforge Forum members). Thanks to @polarbrainfreeze for providing such a nice pattern. I enjoyed making it, especially since I didn’t have to do the work. :joy:

38 Likes

Looks awesome! I’m liking the frosted acrylic inside.

I wonder if I can render frosted acrylic in fusion 360. And if I can put a light source inside the box when I do the render.

3 Likes

I didn’t have any frosted acrylic, so I used 220 grit sandpaper on my sander to “frost” the clear acrylic. I used these tea lights. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LTFTK1U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They seem really nice for the money.

10 Likes

Yep! That turned out great with the kitties! And I love how you home-frosted your own acrylic! Great idea! :grinning:

4 Likes