Repair or not repair? Europe dilemna

No, that’s not how it works at all. It has no effect on power, it simply halts all operations - like opening the lid, except all motion ceases as well.

2 Likes

Ok. I don’t have a pro, but thought I recall some fuse looking area back by the power plug causing some people issues. Oh well I tried. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

There is indeed - it’s an industry-standard connector. It just doesn’t have any effect on power. It simply halts the CPU on the machine. Many people without it (basic and plus owners) have reported errors saying it was “not in place”, which was likely a board connector (using a jumper) failure, but that’s just my speculation.

4 Likes

Cool, thanks for the info.

1 Like

Stuff like that has killed my appetite to purchase anything that doesn’t already have a facility in my own country.
I sincerely hope you find a solution without the expense and hassle of shipping it back to America.

2 Likes

yes it’s true … that will serve as a lesson to me :pensive: I bitterly regret

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback.
Can you tell me where this connector is so I can check ?

there is no fuse, or reset – I have checked my unit.

Do you have a local computer repair / electronics place nearby, maybe they can tell you if there is power on the motherboard, maybe because of the distance Glowforge, Inc will send you a part?

I am afraid to move and manipulate the device too much for fear of voiding the warranty.
On the other hand, I noticed that the card (see photo) is not straight. Do you think the failure could be from there?

Can you clean that small window a bit better? It seems clouded.

I don’t understand

Here is what it should look like:
printhead

Ok thank you
But It’s normal ?

Since you say that the printer won’t even go on, I don’t think it is a laser issue.
Can you have someone go to your home / flat and test it?

Jonathan

Oh , crap. On my side, I can make an update on my case. It doesn’t seem to be the same technical issue but it is the same problem of cost to make my unit repaired.

So Glowforge has propose me a refurbished unit in exchange to mine if I pay for the shipping cost. I have finally decide not to do it. Too expensive with the same risk if the refurbished unit has a problem.

My unit works on small projects but stops randomly during big ones. I have used it for 2 years regularly but not intensively without major problems before this one. A problem on power. I think I would try to repair it myself if it doesn’t work at all anymore.

For your problem, it is difficult to know what is the problem. It can be the power or an electronic card or other thing. If you don’t have any reaction on the unit (no light, no power…), it is difficult to make a diagnostic because it can be many things.

1 Like

Just as a generally speaking, Refurbished machines are tested and verified a bit closer than new machines. While new machines are tested as a quick smoke test and functionality, during the refurbishment process machines generally go though a more lengthly testing process. But I do agree that the international shipping fees associated with shipping something this large and fragile are extremely high, but also likely not to go down any time soon.

1 Like