Repeated issues with Camera head

I bought my Glowforge last December, and have been completely unable to use it, as each time it takes weeks of back and forth emails, and once it is working, it prints one or two items, and then the next time we try nd use it, we have exactly the same trouble. The camera won’t move, the unit won’t print, and we have to do back and forth email over many days to get it to work again. I have gone through and entire 500 piece box of cleaning wipes, and have printed ony 5 or 6 things in many months. We cannot keep spending weeks of back and forth to print for minutes each time.

If we cannot get this unit to work this last try, the entire matter will be turned over to our state attorney general, as all we have is an expensive doorstop.

Email troubleshooting with a slow response is insufficient to troubleshoot a complex machine, that has never operated successfully. Does anyone have phone number for any technical support? please help!!

I am sorry that you have had a Glowforge for almost a year and have just now posted to the forum. There is a wealth of helpful information here, and other users are available to help troubleshoot issues.

That being said, Glowforge support lists their phone number. https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047808873-Haven-t-heard-back-from-support-what-should-I-do-

5 Likes

I am in no way trying to minimize your pain. You may have a defective unit. Obviously we have no way of knowing. But since tens of thousands of units are working your state legal system is unlikely to bother. You would have to prove by hiring technical experts that your particular unit is defective and completely rule out connectivity to even bring a legal challenge for the one unit. And the terms of service require a customer to go to arbitration in the company’s state.

Your particular situation sucks but all I am saying is even though you have tried over and over, only continuing to work with the company is likely to get a resolution.

6 Likes

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble @steve15.

I’ve taken a look at your machine information, but I’m unable to find any connections since this past July. To be sure I’m looking at the right machine, can you confirm this?

Next, I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please check a few things for me to help narrow it down?

1. Check the printer head lens by following steps 1-5 from these instructions: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633614-Cleaning#things-that-need-wiping. If you see anything unusual such as damage to the lens or debris in the printer head, please take a photo of it and attach it to your reply

2. If you are using magnets to secure material to the crumb tray of your Glowforge, please remove or reposition them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration

3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

Let me know how it goes!

Should you prefer talking with us on the phone, we recently started offering phone support. Give us a call at +1 (855) 338-2122. We have live phone support Monday - Friday 9AM- 5PM, Pacific time.

Steve 15 PLEASE CALL ME 714 926 8718 I am feeling your GREAT pain. Please, my name is Laura and I’ve been having trouble since the start. I’m loosing my hair, sense of humor and a whole lot of money$$$$$$$.

Welcome to the forum
I am not sure why you think your best road to success is from another user having an issue with their machine.

If you need help from Support, create a thread with your particular problems, and someone will help you.

2 Likes

After numerous go rounds with tech support, and minimal success, i am frustrated. It was a process to get it to work out of the box. I have printed five or six things since then, sometimes with two weeks of back and forth with tech support. Moments of use, with hours and days of troubleshooting in between…

And it still doesn’t work…

I’m sorry for the continued frustrations @steve15. Can you verify for me the serial number of your Glowforge? The serial number can be found on the back of the Glowforge, printed on a sticker near the AC adapter on the right-hand side. It will look something like ABC-123-4.

Once I have this information, I’ll be able to review the machine logs and follow up with the next steps.

If you’d prefer to chat on the phone, give us a call at +1 (855) 338-2122. We have live phone support Monday - Friday 9AM- 5PM, Pacific time.

@steve15 It was a pleasure speaking with you over the phone today. I will go ahead and close this out as we found a resolution over our phone call. Thank you!