Replaced belt pulley, carriage plate jerks

I finally got a new right side pulley,
Thankfully they sent 2 because one was broken, again.

Get the new pulley put in and now the carriage plate jerks when moving to the left. I loosened the belt tension a hair and it still jerks when moving to the left.
The only way to stop it from jerking is to loosen the belt so much that it falls off the pulley.

Could it be the bearing for the pulley is bad?
What else could cause this?
Tried to upload video and can’t.

Check to make sure your carriage belt isn’t twisted. Last time I took the carrage plate off to clean the air assist fan, I had a twist in the belt. It did the same thing till I realized what I had done. The funny thing was it rant that way, but correctly.

1 Like

The belt isn’t twisted, the belt wasn’t even on both pulleys.

One thing I noticed is when I tighten the screw, the pulley doesn’t freely turn anymore. Its tough as hell trying to get the pulley to spin.
The washer is on like it should be between the screw and the arm. The grooved side of the pulley is also facing up to the arm.

1 Like

Can you share a photo of the pulley wheels with the belt placement?

With the machine off, the honeycomb tray out and the front door open, watch as you gently glide the carriage plate left to right. Is it catching on anything? Does it move smoothly?

Hey! I had this same issue today!!! Did you follow this step they sent in the setup guide:

I lost my washer and had the same issue with the jerking. I took a washer from my other glowforge and it does handle it perfectly with that. So did you follow the instruction exactly when it came to the washer?

2 Likes

I just got everything back together. I found the sweet spot I guess and now it’s moving smoothly. I don’t know what was causing the jerking motion when I would slide the carriage plate side to side.

1 Like

I did follow those same instructions. Still not sure what I did wrong the first 10 times lol but it is working now.

1 Like

I thought the same thing and had to re check it. It is really weird and I give it that their guide they send is not the best at explaining. I had a second GF to compare it to and was able to get it corrected. I would try calling their phone support tomorrow, They are really good on the phone.

1 Like

Glad you were able to get it! Yes, there is a weird trick to it and it took a while for me to get.

1 Like

My name is Mercedes and I’m part of the Technical team here at Glowforge.

I’m happy everyone here at the forums was able to get you back up and running again!

I’m going to go ahead and close this forum post now. If you have any other questions or need help with anything else feel free to send a message our way by either creating an email ticket or a new forum post!