Replacement Blue Thing (Lens Removal Tool)

This looks absolutely detailed and great and being a novice, a little daunting.
does the material have to be exactly 0.125 thick ?

1 Like

The material does not have to be exactly .125, and you don’t really even need to print your own lens removal tool. Simply remove the top of the printhead and the mirror and gently push the lens down and out of the printhead with a q tip. Be sure to catch the lens or have it land on something very soft as you don’t want it to be damaged. Clean the lens and then reinsert it (cup side up) into the printhead.

6 Likes

Nope, you can tweak the design for a different thickness; just scale everything BUT the magnet holes!

2 Likes

Indeed!

3 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

Appreciate it

3 Likes

This is the gift that keeps on giving as some of us continue to misplace the “blue thing”. Thanks

8 Likes

I keep mine in a little drawer away from my machine so I have to purposefully go get it. It keeps me on my toes to handle it gently and not drop it as I move across the room!

4 Likes

I have taped mine to the edge of the worktable between the table and the wall.

2 Likes

mine is safely stored somewhere away from my machine too. Now I just need to remember where I thought was an obvious place to safely keep it at the time. :wink:

5 Likes

The only issue with the Q-tip method is that cotton swabs are surprisingly abrasive. I’m not sure I would use as a long-term solution on something is delicate as a laser lens that has coatings. Overall I think using the magnet tool to pull the lens out is still the best option.

4 Likes

I’m actually glad I broke the blue thing, it’s so much nicer having magnetic assistance during re-insertion!

4 Likes

back when I was using magnets a lot more I taped a sheet of thin steel to the glowforge table. It makes a good place for the blue thingy also.

2 Likes