Replacement material for vinyl lettering?

This is a one off. I’m not going to invest in new tools. Just trying to figure out if there is a way to do this with what I already have.

This is still vinyl, though, so I worry about off-gassing. She’s either doing acrylic or oil.

Ah. If it’s a one-off then that’s a different story. Other suggestions on masking solutions would likely work. I think the siser laser safe vinyl though is heat transfer and likely not what you want.

I have also used this for applications where I peel the sticker back off of a paper surface. You can see it in the video for this:

Of note is that, the longer the sticker remains on the paper, the more firmly it adheres and, the more likely it will damage to surface on removal.

3 Likes

Hmm… Probably not. It’s got to be able to peel back up. I ordered some masking material, or maybe I’ll just try making a panel of tape. :tipping_hand_woman:

Depending on size needs and resistance to moisture, PostIt Tape might also be worth investigating. I have used it for some masking applications with ink.

2 Likes

Thank you! This is helpful, and a very cool project! What a unique thing for a business card. I dig it.

1 Like

The label paper might actually be perfect, and so easy.

1 Like

No, this is paper and many of us use it.

6 Likes

This is great stuff but I’m afraid that it might have too good of adhesive for the op’s project.

2 Likes

Oh! There is also Frisket film, which cuts beautifully, is laser-safe (polypropylene) and, specifically designed for the application you are describing:

Not particularly cheap, unfortunately.

7 Likes

This is why this forum works so very well! I had no idea that this particular product existed. Yes, too expensive for one shots but according to Amazon it is repositionable and reusable so it would do very nicely for the one thing it is designed for.
A 12X4y roll will last me for a long while and is now in my cart. thanx

3 Likes

My grandmother used to use liquid Frisket in her watercolors. I was excited to discover the film while screwing around with my first airbrush when I was an undergrad. I had some sitting around from that and, it was really useful for getting a clean white version of my Spiraling holiday card.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks so much!

1 Like

Very cool!

1 Like

I used transfer tape like @Jules mentioned. Still a pain to weed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do check out Siser’s vinyl as most of it is laser safe now. They will have it tagged that way on their website. I cut thin Mylar for stencils but it’s not as clean as the vinyl route since you can get some paint under the Mylar (I use it for thicker things).

You might also join the FB GF with silhouette Studio group as a lot of them do vinyl work too.

2 Likes

The heat transfer stuff is, but the removable/pressure sensitive stuff is PVC and not laser-safe. Generally the heat transfer stuff isn’t going to be easily removable for the purpose the OP is looking for.

1 Like

Oracal 352 adhesive polyester film is PVC-free.

4 Likes

That’s disappointing. Hopefully they will change the formulation of it was well.