Request: Pacific NW wood review?

I’m playing with the idea of a US road trip from Canada (sadly, not to gather my Glowforge at a postal drop), so I started making a Google Map to plan things out. On a side note, I’d like to make a Google Map that bookmarks various mills and wood suppliers with links to forum threads with reviews from people who have done business with them, but that’s a thread for another day…

Has anyone got any experience they’d like to share dealing with http://www.hardwoodstoget.com/ in Bellingham WA? Their website is a complete disaster, but their product photos and inventory intrigues me. Most of their stuff looks too thick for a Glowforge to handle, admittedly.

6 Likes

just be cautious; bringing unfinished wood across the border makes the guards touchy.

3 Likes

Heh… last time I was in the US, I was camping site-to-site, and had some firewood I didn’t even think twice about. Some nice redwood, actually. Most times they don’t care unless you’re bringing up an entire flatbed of wood.

It is about 12 miles from my house, I go there only to buy small pieces of wood, maple, walnut, etc. sometimes you can find what you want and other times not.
Most of the time, if I really want good material, I go to Windsor Plywood.
And other times I get in my car a drive to Crosscut lumber in Seattle. (They lighten my wallet a lot when I go there.) Great place, then I head over go Rockler and Wood Craft.

1 Like

not remotely the case in my experience, though i suppose it will be location dependent. firewood can be sketchy too, even within the US and Canada firewood is often subject to movement and export restrictions.

3 Likes

Often down to the county level.

1 Like

If you’re heading farther south here to Portland, these guys are my favorite:
https://www.gilmerwood.com/
about 10 minutes away from my house on the other side of the river.
Great guys, amazing selection. There bargain bin is like rummaging through a dragon hoard.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gilmer+Wood+Co/@45.5469846,-122.7174892,13.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x549509c23f73375d:0xc72f1686e132b9dd!8m2!3d45.538017!4d-122.714255

4 Likes

Crosscut Lumber in Seattle is great - and just 15 minute walk from our office.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Wow! Why?

it’s often heavily restricted to prevent the spread of plant disease.

3 Likes

Oh I see. But looking at the enormous border between Canada and the USA (almost 9000 km) this is kind of funny. I mean, I could imagine that there are some trees that grow across the border, or are they not allowed to cross borders :rofl: ?

This is not the same situation like for example the British Islands where you have to put your dog in quarantine, before you are allowed to visit, because of rabies. This makes sense, I guess, because it is an island…

1 Like

well i mean, animal border control exists, too. as alluded to above, sometimes the restrictions are even on a county level. it’s true that the two countries share a border but i dunno if you’ve noticed that trees tend to move pretty slowly on their own…

4 Likes

Yeah, but what about Ents? :grinning:

But seriously, this is some kind of rule/law I would expect to exist only in Germany, so I am kind of happy that those are a global phenomenon.

4 Likes

There are invasive insect species, like the Emerald Ash Borer (and several others), that can decimate our tree populations. When not transported, they keep to pretty small areas and don’t move far or fast. When transported, they quickly repopulate and infect new areas.

8 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

and remember, the US and canada are very large countries. you could easily drive 5000 miles from the tip of florida to the yukon. species of wood from florida and the yukon could house very different species of pests.

3 Likes

I think the trade issues overshadow the pest control issues.

2 Likes

it may for any volume, but i doubt that’s the impetus to go after a guy with a trunk full of firewood.

3 Likes

Lots of info here:
https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/

4 Likes