Resetting thickness

I am making a project it will not let me engrave on it because it says the thickness is not right. I tried to reset it but is not letting me???

1 Like

What are you trying to engrave and how thick is it? Are you using the set focus tool and making sure that the beam falls directly on the material?

3 Likes

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a a snag!

To better understand the circumstances around the error, could you please send me a screenshot of what you see in the Glowforge app when this happens? Make sure to include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible

To take a screenshot:

Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.
Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

Additionally, You can print on objects up to 2" thick by removing the crumb tray. However, your Glowforge can’t focus too far down, so you may need to put something laser-compatible underneath your material to lift it up. Raise it until the top surface of your material is between 1.5" and 2" (50 mm) high, measured from the metal plate on the bottom. Can you verify the thickness of your material for me?

Lastly, I see you emailed us as well. I’m going to close that ticket out so we can continue the conversation here.

I finally figured it out the material was tow without the crumb tray and to high with it. I had to raise it up a bit with out the tray. Question does the glowforge print in color? Rose

| jeremyh Staff
June 18 |

• | - |

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a a snag!

To better understand the circumstances around the error, could you please send me a screenshot of what you see in the Glowforge app when this happens? Make sure to include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible

To take a screenshot:

Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.
Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

Additionally, You can print on objects up to 2" thick by removing the crumb tray. However, your Glowforge can’t focus too far down, so you may need to put something laser-compatible underneath your material to lift it up. Raise it until the top surface of your material is between 1.5" and 2" (50 mm) high, measured from the metal plate on the bottom. Can you verify the thickness of your material for me?

Lastly, I see you emailed us as well. I’m going to close that ticket out so we can continue the conversation here.

If you’re asking if the GF can print (lay down) different colors, the answer is no.
If you’re asking if color photos can be converted and engraved with the GF, yes, but the results will be essentially greyscale, not different colors.

You may find this search link illuminating…
https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=photo%20category%3A13

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear that you were able to resolve the snag, and utilize a piece of material to raise the material you were printing on. That’s great!

Question does the glowforge print in color?

Your Glowforge prints in greyscale, and cannot print in color. I hope this information helps!

I’ll close this thread for now, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at support@glowforge.com in the future if you run into any more trouble. We’re here to help :slight_smile: