Resin Filled Mythical Animals

I love that

4 Likes

I’m curious about the application, as well if it is a steady pour, or through a syringe/eye dropper. Really cool, have you tried using any draftboard? My idea is that you could paint the DB any color and add resin, but my concern is that the DB may be too porous.

5 Likes

I would have resin everywhere so I am amazed at you r work.

3 Likes

So cool! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

They are gorgeous! Resin is high on my to-do list.

1 Like

Those are amazing!

1 Like

I have done some stuff with resin which was the first time working with it. I certainly had some trial and error incidents. Very finicky if you don’t get the mix just right but once you got it down, it’s produces excellent results.

Great job!

4 Likes

You might like to try embossing powders… I haven’t done much with them yet, but seen a lot of Youtubes…

1 Like

Those are really cool.

Excellent! I do a lot with resin and these are well done. Such are hard balance getting just the right amount consistently throughout!

1 Like

Wowowow, simply gorgeous. :fire:

1 Like

How did you get the bubbles out?

1 Like

You can usually pass a torch quickly over the top and it allows the bubbles to rise and pop.

2 Likes

Would a heat lamp do it?

I have done some similar stuff myself, but i sanded mine down smooth afterwards. I like the way yours looks ‘beaded’ up. I used a syringe to fill mine with resin.

2 Likes

The quick hit of localized heat works better for this.

A heat lamp might be too broad of a heat source and not warm the resin fast enough so it can flow and release air before it gels, and traps the air instead. Plus the broader heat can impact/warp/deform the base material depending what it is.

2 Likes

Could you add detail to the resin by making a second pass with the glowforge after the resin dries?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
A quick search regarding laser cutting/engraving of resin results in an answer of “it depends”. Some resins have formaldehyde which shouldn’t be lasered. Best to always know material composition before hitting anything with the laser.

3 Likes

Hmm, read through the thread but still don’t understand the process!

Do you mean you engrave the whole shape on the proofgrade with the sticky paper? And that successfully burns away the paper for the inside engraved shape? Then you put the resin in and pull off the outside portion of remaining paper?

Or do you mean you just engrave around the edge, then pull off paper, then pour resin, then pull off outer edge paper when you have jam like consistency?

Wonderful work.

When I have tried resin I find that the resin gets pulled into the adjacent wood pores, resulting in permanent staining no matter what I try. Any tips? Masking didn’t help, as the resin went underneath via capillary, I think.

1 Like