Resizing my SVG files

Hey community!!! I’ve posted a couple times on some cool things that my GFPro can do, but the more I start getting into my own designs the more I’m finding that the GF software is changing the size of the SVG files that I import.

For instance, I bought a file the other day and one of the files I imported was 10” x 7”, however when I imported the file into the GF software it was sized down for the cut file and the raster image was then also sized down.

I truly believe this is user error and want to see if anyone else has run into this or if there is a solution that has been posted that I may have missed in my random searching of this forum.

Any help is amazing :wink:

2 Likes

You’re not giving us a lot to go on here…

What software are you using?

How “off” are things?

Do you have a sample file?

Can you describe your workflow?

There are lots of posts about size issues when converting from one program to another, especially with older programs. As I understand it, it’s due to the way the SVG standard has changed over time.

Let us know some more and someone may have ideas.

1 Like

Sometimes the settings that you use to save your SVG file can cause changes in the size that the file is rendered. For instance in Illustrator, you have to make sure that “Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities” and Responsive are not checked.

In Inkscape, you want to make sure you are using the current version 0.92 to keep from potentially introducing errors in raster images, and set your Edit > Preferences> Bounding Box to Geometric.

Got a tutorial for saving SVG files correctly here:

4 Likes

Totally understand the confusion…

So here’s what i did.

I am using Adobe CC 2018 Illustrator and have an SVG that I exported was a .984 x .984 square image, however when i bring the file into the GF software by clicking on upload it loads as right around, or less than, 3/4 of an inchWine9

If the file didn’t come through let me know…

@jules is it best so save as an SVG straight out of illustator CC versus using the export assets panel to save the SVG file ?

This is EXACTLY what I needed.

Your help and understanding of what I was talking about after hours of resizing and mis-aligning projects cannot be matched.

I thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t know if this will help you, but I start all projects with a 12 inch by 20 inch page templet and I have never had any problems with scale. I use Inkscape, Affinity Designer and QGIS for vector work, Affinity Designer for text and Photoshop Elements for raster images, then import the files into an Inkscape 12 by 20 templet for final work.

Good luck

1 Like

The official recommendation is to Save As when putting it into SVG format. Save As writes the files a bit differently from what I understand.

I use the Export screen because I am usually exporting more than 1 artboard and I just like how it works for me. If you set up your preferences right in the export screen (it should remember them), you should also be ok. Knock on wood. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Thanks for the great help, all! I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Happy printing!

1 Like