Retrieving a Trace

I have traced a design, It worked great. Made the object. Now I want to go back and get the same trace a week later at HOME. Is there a way to do that? Seems to me i have to keep tracing the same thing again.
OMS

When you do a trace on an object, it is saved to your Dashboard in the Design Library as a file named “trace” and you can access it in the Glowforge interface from any location where you have the app opened.

But you can’t download it to your devices like a computer or tablet to do editing work on it. It can only be worked on inside the Glowforge interface. So if you need to do other work on it, it’s best to scan it using a scanner and save it as a JPG or PNG to your computer.

1 Like

When I click on it to open it. It does not come back up on the machine interface. All I have is a blank work area.
OMS

Did you maybe delete it before you closed the app, or went back to the Dashboard? Files are Auto-Saved constantly, so if it was deleted out of the file before it was saved, it will be gone and you’ll need to scan it again.

Once you do, just click on the Glowforge logo in the interface to go back to the Dashboard and you should see it there.

1 Like

It is in my Design Library. I want to use it again. When I click on OPEN, it says it is getting it, but when the screen opens to the bed, nothing is there.

The most likely explanation is that you accidentally deleted the actual design before exiting the page, as Jules described above. Time to rescan.

1 Like

Did you do the trace and add it to another file? Like one of the Glowforge free files? If so your trace is going to be inside that file.

I will try tracing something tomorrow, when I am back at school. I will let you know what happens.
Thanks for your help.

OMS

Can you not reset a trace? I have to admit. Haven’t done a trace sine PRU days

1 Like

Not to the best of my knowledge…

1 Like

And note that the thumbnail in your design library is created when you first do the trace, and is not updated if you should happen to delete the traced figures from the bed view.

3 Likes

Several people have complained about missing files in the past few weeks, so while it could be a deleted file, it could be a gremlin. Either way, it’s gone. Scanning is really the best choice so you always have the original.

Thanks, everyone, for the help here. You may not see a design (and see a “No Artwork” message) if the original design’s artwork was deleted while preparing a print. When you edit a design on your Workspace, the changes are automatically saved as you make them. That means that if you close your browser, navigate to another page, or just hit refresh, your work will pick up right where you left off.

As @dwardio mentioned, the easiest way to print this file again is to rescan it. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you run into any other trouble, please start a new thread or reach out to us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!