Retro Keychain

Thanks to neotoybob and his awesome vintage motel keychains, when my son (who is a newly minted college freshman) texted me and asked for a tag for his dorm room key because he had already “misplaced” it twice, I knew instantly what I would make him…

Leather was cut out on the laser and stamped with an acrylic stamp also made on the laser. The two pieces of leather were glued together to create a double sided keychain. Colored portions are painted with Angelus paint. Leather dye and antiqued appearance of the stamped recesses was achieved with Eco Flo Gel Antique - saddle tan color. Finished with a couple coats of Eco Flo Satin Shene.

The only drawback is that my son is young enough he will probably have no idea what this design evokes in all us “middle aged” people. Even so, I hope he likes it and I had a ton of fun designing and making it!

36 Likes

Nice job!

7 Likes

Great work! So much great leather work on the gf!

5 Likes

I think it looks spectacular! I never would have thought of making those tags from leather! Great job!

4 Likes

Looks great!

5 Likes

This looks awesome!!

4 Likes

Leather is a great idea! It will be a lot more comfortable in his pocket than wood or acrylic.

I hope he’s enjoying his freshman year!

3 Likes

Fabulous job on this! Be prepared for a bunch of requests from his dorm-mates.

5 Likes

It looks really great! Using acrylic stamps make a very professional look.

5 Likes