Ribbon cable coming off print head

So last night the cable came off the print head. I put it back on, tonight it did it again. It won’t click like it’s on good. Anybody else had this problem. Side note, no pins are bent or anything like that. It seems like it’s been something never ending from this refurb unit I got sent.

1 Like

Doesn’t the retaining clip click into place?. In the interim, I would augment the retaining with a piece of tape, and await the reply from support.

That’s the thing, it doesn’t click in.

Is the tab on the connector broken or missing?

I don’t think so.

The tab clicks into a square-ish slot, if working as it should, you have to press the tab down to unlock the cable.

Is the retaining part missing?

3 Likes

I know what it is, and as I said I don’t think any of it is missing.

Perhaps it is not seated completely? There should be an auditable click when it engages.

1 Like

That’s what I said in the post, it won’t click. I tried a few times and wiggling it and can’t get a click.

You probably have, but at this point I would carefully inspect to see that none of the pins are bent, preventing it from seating all the way.

1 Like

I looked at it again, it looks like it’s all intact. The pins are all good. It’s like the plastic clip part is maybe just a hair stretched or something where it won’t click in. It goes all the way it but will just pull out. IDK…………… I guess I will see what GF says.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the printer head. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate this, and saw that the head disconnected on Tuesday, 10/15 around 7:30 pst. I also saw that you have been able to run several prints since this happened. Are you still having trouble with your printer head’s connection? If so, could you please let me know the date and time the trouble most recently occurred?

So, yes, there are still issues. It has done it more than the one time. Usually it does it when it goes back home after a print. The cable is not clicking in when I plug it in to hold it so if it pulls, it just pulls right out.

Thank you for the details, and I’m so sorry for the trouble.

Can you take a couple photos of the connector?

Assuming you’re using a smartphone, try these tips for great photos:

• Use flash
  • Zoom in using the digital zoom
  • Hold the camera/phone far enough back to get good focus.

You can post them here, or email them to us at support@glowforge.com.

I’ll be happy to take a look and follow up with next steps.

Uploading: 20191020_211504.mp4…

Now, since I messed with it like you asked and took pictures and plugged and unplugged it, autofocus isn’t working. I’m really fed up with this refurb machine you sent me. It has been one thing after another. The link in the back, the cable, autofocus. I’m sick of it. I paid you people $5500 for this and I am sick and tired of problems. I can’t go any time at all without another problem. What are you going to do about this??? It takes an eternity for you all to even do anything with this crap of send an email and I hear from you 2 days later. I want something done NOW!

Thank you for all your help troubleshooting this issue. I have reviewed your Glowforge unit’s logs and I want you to have a reliable printer, I’m recommending that we replace this one. My apologies that we weren’t able to solve this remotely. I have reached out by email with your next steps and we will continue working on this there, so I’m going to close this thread. I’m so sorry about the bad news.