Rock Paper

Hey there! Yes, I’m your IG stalker😂 I will read up on this test. The owner is contacting the creator/inventor for me also.
I have visions in my mind of what I think I want to accomplish but a lot of times they are better in my mind than the real thing 😵‍💫
Plus, I think I may have a paper fetish🤔

5 Likes

Well okay, now you are making me think I need to pull that stuff out and give it a go. If I do, I’ll let you know.

6 Likes

Please do and I will definitely do the same😃

2 Likes

If you have to ask, you haven’t been paying attention. It’s paper. Of sorts. That’s all that needs to be said.

1 Like

Well sorta, right? I love paper too, but in terms of laserability, this stuff has some unknowns. Traditional papers laser perfectly and come in all colors, weights, patterns, and sizes that you can imagine, and have none of the concerns about safety and success that we’re talking about here.

I suppose I just wondered why they were compelling enough to pursue instead of traditional papers. Laser all the things of course, I was just looking for a reason why I need to buy some :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like IG and all but the GF community allows for adding links in posts and has great tips/tricks.

FYI, as follow up to the wood fiber IG question, it is the Epicurean Richlite I had posted.

Here is a GF post on that I did with more details. I love how the tan turns out:

I have sold them personalized on my Etsy before and they do well. Well only the black one does well. No one wants the tan but I love the tan.

2 Likes

And here is where we differ! Seriously, though, it’s pretty and it’s fun to experiment with new textures and materials, laserable, or not.

4 Likes

That’s where I’m trying to differ anyway, lol.

I’ve got too many random materials already :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s waterproof and dimensionally stable around moisture. That would be compelling for some applications. Also purportedly eco friendly being tree-free and using much less water to process/create.

6 Likes

Yeah I wonder about the long carbon footprint of a polymer versus tree pulp. Hard to get to the bottom of that. The waterproof angle is interesting. You guys are not helping me resist buying this stuff :wink:

If I don’t laser it, will I need special shears to cut through it? A pair of rock paper scissors?

16 Likes

Ha ha! I knew someone was going to go there.

6 Likes

:joy::joy:

1 Like

Yes I love the tan best! And thank you for answering my IG question. It almost sounds like the process is similar to rock paper with use of resins.

2 Likes

If you search for “stone paper” instead of “rock paper”, you’ll find a fairly large selection. Most offerings seem to be bound, but there are packages of loose leaf. This type of paper is sold as waterproof and the information provided by some manufacturers state there is no chlorine used in the process and that it is an alternative to PVC sheets. It would seem to me that it isn’t a laser risk, but it is pretty expensive - about $1 sheet in loose leaf.

2 Likes

Thanks😊 I just received a message from the owner. They said it has been cut on some industrial lasers but could not confirm for glowforge. They did say it had none of the hazardous materials I listed.

2 Likes

So I tried a quickie engrave of a file I have done before using regular heavy cardstock (a lace photo). It looks like it takes quite a bit more power to get through this stuff vs regular paper. My cardstock conditions for this were speed 635, power 30, LPI 225. The top portion of the engrave below was done at 635/50/225 and as you can see it didn’t get all the way through. The bottom portion was done at 635/65/225 which went maybe a little too deep since I lost a bit of it peeling it off the Seklema mat. Looks very nice though.

One thing to note: the process left a ton of very tiny white particles (I assume calcium carbonate) all over the interior of my Glowforge, which I’m not too fond of. So I’m not sure I’ll try it again. On the other hand there was almost zero burn marking/soot. So there’s that.

14 Likes

Oh it does look really nice. I never considered the calcium carbonate being left all over. I would think that could cause issues with the fans in regards to keeping them clean. And if ok for me to be honest, I really love the one you did before using regular card stock. They both captured a lot of intricate and delicate details which amazes me.
I wonder if peeling it off the seklema mat the same as you would with a Cricut mat (had you used a Cricut) would help any?
I don’t remember how I came across rock paper in first place…I was trying to figure out different papers that I could embed in resin without having to seal it first. And I have seen tons of beautiful paper cut files on Etsy. Some were layered and looked really nice in shadow boxes.
Thanks for posting this, I appreciate it tons!!:blush:

3 Likes

I had to sit on my hands every time I visited this topic to avoid posting a similarly incisive comment.

6 Likes

I would be cautious about using a Cricut mat unless you are absolutely sure there is no PVC in the mat. That’s one of those things you never want to put in your Glowforge (not even once!).

2 Likes

Oh no I meant if you were using a Cricut machine. I would never put it in glowforge. I was just using it as an example

3 Likes