Rotary engraved rolling pin

This is awesome. I have some small rolling pins and have engraved only in one place. I’ll have to try this!

4 Likes

It looks terrific!

2 Likes

Well even with the miss it looks amazing. Really like @ekla ‘s idea!

3 Likes

I concur @ekla . That is the best way to get a seamless 360 degree engraving. Though it is possible, it’s very difficult to do it the other way.

6 Likes

@cynd11 That is beautiful and fantastic! I love to see what people do with the jig! Thank you so much for the cash too! I have also experienced the issue with the tape gumming up and catching the underside of the jig. What is happening , is the tape stretches and becomes loose. For short runs, I find it helpful to use multiple layers of tape, but that eventually stretches too. What I have found works best, is gluing the tape to card stock (or other thin rigid material), and then taping down the cardstock so that it doesn’t slide or lift up. I’m happy to help with any questions you may have. I look forward to seeing what amazing thing you do next!

11 Likes

Of course, you were! In my mind, owning your own laser is reckless! Whoe doesn’t love reckless at times! Wonderful job! Mistakes? Blather! Its a great job! And now I need to read that jig post more closely!

6 Likes

Update: I incorporated the suggestions of @ekla (change pattern to avoid breaks) and @taylor.a.jenkins (add more tape), and the rolling pin I just finished came out perfectly!

Update 2: I did two more that came out perfectly (good thing, too, as I’m all out of rolling pins—I bought a total of 5). Huzzah!

13 Likes

Woot!

3 Likes

This is amazing @cynd11!

gfd

6 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

Wow this is brilliant! Congrats on how superb it turned out, and the fact that your subsequent ones were even better :smiley:

3 Likes

Piiiics! (please)

2 Likes

Here ya go:

And in motion:

11 Likes

They really are pretty!!!

3 Likes

I totally forgot about that jig. These came out awesome!

3 Likes

Oh yeah! If any of those are “split” side up, you definitely cannot tell :smiley:

2 Likes

They turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing your results!

1 Like

That is REALLY cool! Nicely done!!!

1 Like

Where can I find this “jig”?

It is linked in the original post.

3 Likes