Rotary Engraving a Yoyo on my Glowforge

I had an urgent request this weekend from a really good friend of mine to engrave around the rim of a yoyo. I had been noodling on this idea since I got my Glowforge a couple years ago, so when the request came, I knew I had to try it. I did, and with success! I designed and cut my rotary fixture out of a single sheet of proofgrade medium draftboard. The current design will work with cylinders measuring 1.5" to 2.125" diameter, and can utilize the full travel of the machine. I think it will be possible to do smaller diameter items, with some simple modifications I’m considering.
The Yoyo had a 2.1" diameter.

69 Likes

Can we see a photo? :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Intrigued, to say the least.

1 Like

Rotary attachment???

6 Likes

You have our full attention.

5 Likes

I’d certainly like to hear more about the solution for the solution.

2 Likes

He’s leaving us hanging. :confounded:

4 Likes

Walk the dog? Cradle? Round the world? Pendulum?

Oh common @system… the whole post isn’t that long to quote!!

3 Likes

Video please! :pray:

More info will be forthcoming, once I have time to put it together for you. I’m tweaking some things on my design, after which I will make a proper video. Unfortunately I missed my opportunity with the yoyo, so I’m open to requests. Probably next week.

4 Likes

Here is a test engraving with my new fixture, on 1.25" Dowel.

19 Likes

Looks great. Can’t wait to see what kind of fixture you’ve created.

1 Like

Very nice results. Darkness is uniform around the dowel.

1 Like

Be interesting to see how the rotary fixture was implemented. Typically, you’d disconnect the Y axis from the gantry and drive the rotary fixture as the Y axis instead… best of my knowledge there are no hooks like that in the GF and you can’t open the lid to manually index the fixture. So it’s a mystery now, I want explained! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Video doesn’t want to upload, but here are more pictures.

15 Likes

Finally got a video link working! This shows the engraving of a 1.25" diameter dowel.

48 Likes

Another video engraving on a 0.375" diameter dowel.

31 Likes

Ah. Your manually advancing it via the pass thru slot.

Well specifically using the gantry to drag/roll the object.

1 Like

Now that is brilliant!

8 Likes

That is so genius!

2 Likes