Rounded Corner Box w/ stacked inserts

The color combination looks fantastic. I can see lots of uses for something like this.

2 Likes

I made a cuttle version of the file available. You should be able to make your own with it.

I will have to re-create it a different way to make one with more than four sides like @ESteele version.

11 Likes

I love the elegant solution. For both you and @ESteele , it would look cool with acrylic corners and wood sides/top. Just use @caribis2 's idea about measuring the stacks to get the wall height.

6 Likes

That could create a cool effect.

Very clever. Looks great.

I love the way you designed this. Just wish you would submit this so I could get the plans. This is a beautiful way to use some scraps. Thanks for letting us see how it looks before assembly.

3 Likes

As you undoubtedly know, it is against forum rules to ask for files. That being said, a version of this design was made available. Please read the fourth post above yours in this thread.

3 Likes

I tried skipping the spacers and only kept the fingers. Itā€™s a nice look, but definitely a little more fiddly to get glued up. Of course making it in acrylic probably had more than a little to do with that. I really like this look.

@bwente, Iā€™ll stop hijacking your post now. LOL

26 Likes

Beautiful combination of materials!

Also nice job of taking advantage of the sides for artwork.

5 Likes

Thank you! I think florescent green acrylic is my favorite material. Anything scored or engraved on it just pops.

3 Likes

I wonder how that would look with the ā€œgreen glassā€ or whatever they call it.

3 Likes

Closeā€¦ā€˜glass greenā€™. Probably my favorite of all the acrylics. It would look stunningā€¦just like a glass box.

6 Likes

Someone do it. :rofl:

3 Likes

Closest I can get is thisā€¦my first acrylic box with finger jointsā€¦and my first glass green boxā€¦period. Itā€™s really just a cube because I love the way it looksā€¦so there is no opening in any side.

11 Likes

I call it ā€œSea Glassā€. Making clear no color glass is a challenge as the slightest amount of iron in the sand causes that odd blue-green color. As much of the more historical glass had it and later Coke patented the color. Much broken glass worn round by the waves has become a special find they call ā€œsea glassā€ and special because of it. The acrylic of that color is not about that but made to resemble actual ā€œcheapā€ window-type iron-colored glass.

I cannot see it without recalling the history and how the color was hated, But it has a great place now.

5 Likes

It is similar in color to sea glass, for sure. I have a real piece of sea glass, but it is more frosted looking than clear.

2 Likes

It is the bouncing around in the sand that does that :grin:

3 Likes

I am going to have to get my hands on some of that. It looks amazing!

1 Like

Ok, so Iā€™m a huge liar, apparently. Iā€™m going to hijack this one more time. This is just such a cool design process, I canā€™t stop playing with it. :wink:

This time I tried a little multimedia, wood and brass. I also tried different join gaps. The brass rods are placed in a way that locks the joints into place against the walls. The only ones with any glue are the top and bottom ones that touch the base and upper ring. Itā€™s very solid. I did over compensate for kerf and had to force the rods into place, which did cause some de-lamination of the plywood in a couple of places. That being said, Iā€™m very surprised how well the proofgrade plywood holds up when cut thin.

@bwente, Iā€™ve spent about 15% of 2022 in Inkscape and Cuttle, and assembling parts. Itā€™s all your fault! :laughing:

28 Likes

Wow! Now weā€™re talking.

I love the rods and the spacing of the stacks. I tried last night to get setup in cuttle to make a parametric file, but I am not sure which approach is best.

6 Likes