Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

I saw that thread. If I had a glowforge in my hand… I’m pretty sure I could have that assembly made in a day or so. The main issue is the amount of clearance under the head. Need to alter the beam path so we can cut a bigger part. Its a pretty good idea tho.

2 Likes

yeah, thats the same thought I had. Im wondering if a nice 45 deg mirror on the bottom of the GF head will work to trick the GF and allow for a horizontal beam to engrave on the side instead of the top

3 Likes

The main issue is figuring out the ratio of the Y axis steppers and translating that to a rotational axis.
If possible its not going to be easy with the space allotted. Especially if a reduction drive is needed.

4 Likes

Yes, that is the real problem with a rotational fixture. Turning mirror…no problem. 1/2" focus …great. X-axis movement…some translation there, but not difficult. This seems like something that Glowforge can offer as an accessory in the not too distant future. Go :glowforge: - Rich

2 Likes

After you rotate the image 90° you can just do a non-uniform scale in Y to account for the linear/rotational difference.

Unless adding some kind of CVT or hacking the Glowforge UI is being put on the to-do list.

In the other rotary thread I suggested a photodetector and a separate engrave area; for this version, you’d want a bunch of white space and then a dark line somewhere off the end of your material but on the rotary gizmo to trigger the stepping. It would slow things down, but them you’d need to slow things down anyway to make sure there was no engraving while the object was in motion.

7 Likes

For anyone curious, I asked and the competitor cancellation incentive on the Muse is 10% of whatever your cancelled amount was. AKA totally not worth it.

12 Likes

What proof do you have to provide? I’m sure you could game the system… :wink:

3 Likes

“Here is the Photoshop file of my receipt for 14 Pro’s…” LOL

13 Likes

BAHAHAHA. I wonder how many of those theyre gonna get

5 Likes

Unless there’s really careful fine print about how you had to have ordered the other machine before hearing of their offer, they got some interesting requests coming…

And of course anyone who decides to cancel a GF now should definitely get together with someone who’s planning to buy a muse.

5 Likes

Man, that is despicable. Now, hopefully, people might understand why the GF team has to be so tight lipped about things. For all we know, there could be someone in here we’ve been talking to from the beginning that works for FS and has been relaying info back.

3 Likes

Not me… I work at a state (province) sponsored scam according to @rpegg :grin:

6 Likes

It would surprise me if there wasn’t a FS employee (and other competitors) keeping tabs on this forum. Above and beyond the :glowforge: product info, there’s an awful lot of market data to be gleaned from all of the customer input here.

9 Likes

these forums are all open to the public to read, so there’s no real need.

agree

5 Likes

Not sure I’d call it despicable. It’s a first-to-market advantage.

I’m actually surprised it’s only 10%. It’s definitely not a match feature-wise, and the Muse starts with a higher price tag. At least get it so the price is competitive.

9 Likes

Hmmm… I’m going to guess that Glowforge is not going to answer FSL if they try to confirm… So what if I were to produce an email receipt showing that I pre-ordered, say, 15 Pro + Air Filters? :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’re here. (Hi guys!)

33 Likes

I would have expected them to have made a preorder. In fact, I’d bet Epilog and Universal too. Gotta keep an eye on what the competition is doing so you can effectively sell against them. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

10 Likes