Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

That’s not a Muse. It’s a $3500 FSL H-series.

9 Likes

Neat! I like open source stuff.

This part sounds familiar:

The main innovation of this machine is the gantry mounted laser tube. In traditional laser cutters, the box is a rigid heavy metal frame, this prevent the optics from moving out of alignment. On the vanillabox the flying optics, mirrors and CO2 laser tube are all mounted together on the gantry, allowing for a much lighter metal box and a simpler alignment of the mirrors and lens.

2 Likes

Very nice, I didn`t know that. Hey @m_raynsford loving justaddsharks. :wink:

We’ve never been shy about citing our inspiration, in this case it was the Blacktooth laser which came to our attention as a kickstarter (it sadly failed)

Our project was started before Glowforge was announced too but yeah I guess the people who frequent these forums are going to be a bit biased and call everything a glowforge clone from now on.
http://msraynsford.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Open%20Source

We’re just a small dev team with no money so it’s going to be a slow process for us, we won’t go to pre sales until it’s ready so that we don’t experience these kinds of delays.

21 Likes

…just noticed the similarity. That’s all. :grin:

My interest and availability to pursue hardware stuff has come back after a decade or so long dormancy, so thanks for the link! And I’ve subscribed to your mailing list to see how the vanillabox progresses.

2 Likes

He posted that in 2013, but never posted anymore videos about his laser.

Wanted to see how things had progressed. I guess I have been spoiled by Sarbar

4 Likes

Definitely not a muse, I had seen that video when I was looking for a laser cutter before I found glowforge

2 Likes

I didn’t know you started development before GF. Sorry for calling your machine a clone.

5 Likes

Whoops. I thought it looked like the old bottomless ones I had seen long ago, but since it had MUSE in the video title I assumed my eyes were wrong.

Back to not being able to find any unboxing, and thus doubting the claims that they are indeed slowly rolling the units out.

8 Likes

According to some people on the laser group in Facebook, the Muse hasn’t shipped yet. Might be shipping on the 15th.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/441613082637047?view=permalink&id=826473614150990

6 Likes

haha that dude is in the fb gf group for some reason, and sent me a really nasty fb message talking about how he’s an admin and his word goes, etc., when i politely disagreed about something.

some people - give then one bit of power, lol.

9 Likes

Which Facebook group? Also, the top one is the only official one, correct?

4 Likes

go easy on him. He probably just got yelled at by his father, something about “as long as you’re living in my basement, you’re living by my rules”… and is just projecting the same onto the all-important Facebook. LOL

14 Likes

yes, though it’s a page, not a group. actually, i think all of those are pages.

haha maybe if he wasn’t much older than me (and i’m not exactly young). ah well!

4 Likes

I see. You are correct. Groups don’t really show up in the search individually, I guess. Just under “Posts from Friends and Groups.”

1 Like

Scientists have proven that if you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That’s why people with no sense of humor have an increased sense of importance. :smile:

42 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

I’m stealing that quote!!!

10 Likes

I went over and hung out a bit looking at their web site. Lots of ideas and issues to think about. They really have put a lot of work into the launch. Tried to find the community that was highlighted for users but no server found. I do have a question that doesn’t seem answered clearly. After Russ at SabarMultimedia posted a new amazingly detailed video on air assist I noted that he had to manually shift focus when changing height of materials. Does the Muse autofocus? Do you have to enter height of materials? Couldn’t find that.

I read through the manual of their retina software and noted it’s complexity and detail. Interesting read. Much more necessary than the Glowforge manual.

And what about lasers in general? Is autofocus or at least software controlled focus normal or not?

6 Likes

Autofocus is not super common. Usually you set the height by using some sort of measuring device. Nicer lasers have beds that raise/lower electronically and somethin akin to a bltouch to detect proper focal height. Cheaper ones either use a pre-measured shim for focus height or just don’t do anything (like the k40).

The glowforge will be great in this regard. Being able to type in material height is already awesome, but having it do it on the fly will be incredible.

9 Likes