Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

I’ve no idea how you’d scoot the material along without the software to support it and I highly doubt they’d develop software to support the floor removal as their legal dept would veto that immediately. I’m also not sure how the laser would focus on material that far away from the laser head.

We now have Glowforge averse to showing off development for fear of being copied by these jokers. However I don’t understand this decision as the Glowforge is being released to the public in 2 months and no one can copy hardware and the associated software based on pictures or videos anyway. The muse is going to be similar to their other machines with a new case that can take pictures of the laser bed. I will also go out on a very strong limb and state that their software will be minimal and not cloud based, which may be a positive for some.

3 Likes

A number of lasers have drop out floors for engraving tall objects.

I think glowforge wouldnt have had to worry so much about people copying their tech had they got all of their stuff working before marketing a laser that appeared ready to go. Hopefully this last month or so will allow them to knock out a ton of work on their software. The fact we havent seen any advanced features is a bit worrisome.

If Full Spectrum had their laser done a bit sooner they definitely could have cannibalized a portion of the glowforge customer base.

5 Likes

Do you think Full Spectrum would have developed a similar laser if the Glowforge hadn’t come along?

3 Likes

lol i doubt it. they dont seem to be a company too prone to innovation from what ive seen. everything theyve put out has been a copy of something else. Their original lasers were all basically chinese lasers. They put out a resin printer after the form 1 came along, and now they are seeing how much money glowforge already has with their optics based laser so theyre jumping on that bandwagon.

I cant complain about competition though! Their laser looks interesting. Maybe itll fuel the fire under the butts of the glowforge team to get the rest of our lasers done =P.

8 Likes

I’m hoping that when/if it comes out it will push the GF folks to move a bunch of things from hopper to production. (I’m satisfied that they’re dancing as fast as they can on the current version.)

4 Likes

Im hoping so too, but not getting my hopes up. It seems to me priorities are in the wrong places.

From what I was told at the convention, the glowforge design catalog/store whatever has been done for months. When I asked them about some simple stuff on the laser that I was wondering if they could do, everyone freaked out, then went back to the simple demos they were doing.

1 Like

Aren’t their current ones still basically Chinese lasers? Or are they manufacturing their own parts?

1 Like

Im not sure. I havent looked into it since i plopped down cash for the gf. The muse looks to be pretty custom though, even if it does look quite like the glowforge design. The guts however, could well still be junk. Guess we will see in November! Cant say im not curious

3 Likes

My understanding is that without complete enclosure it would be a class IV.
Even though the pro has the covers for the passthrough, even if they aren’t open it is class IV just because it can be operated open.

1 Like

@takitus, I agree with you that if the Muse does come out in November (and shipping November), it will cannibalize part of the GF purchasers. I certainly would look closely at the value proposition and make a decision.

It might be nice to have an update from @dan and team on where we are with the dates given that we are well into October. It would put a lot of minds at ease.

7 Likes

Lol. Add some treads and name it Johnny 5.

Need more input!

4 Likes

I agree fully. If the Muse releases with similar capabilities & good reviews at a similar price point, it’s going too be real tempting to jump ship. I think/hope GF is going to be forced into giving some updates soon. I just hope for GF’s sake that there isn’t another delay.

5 Likes

This weird. They are still keeping the Muse specs a secret. It looks like a GF clone (clown?), but coming up with software to compete and cameras, etc. would probably be breaking some patents. I doubt they can infringe on some of GFs IP. Maybe they can make it look somewhat like a GF, but I doubt they can copy the many GF features that made buy GF. - Rich

2 Likes

My guess, uncharitable though it be: they are scrambling as fast as they can to get something working with reasonable features/reliabilty that they can list as “available” by the end of the month, with a lead time of (at least) a month or two after that before delivery.

2 Likes

The amusing thing is seeing the reaction of the facebook laser engraver’s group. They are eager for the Muse, with some people saying “It looks so much like the Glowforge though, I hope that doesn’t cost them (FSL) any customers by negative association”

Yes… they are drooling over something that is every bit as vaporware as the Glowforge is at this point, just because it doesn’t have the stigma that THEY CREATED FOR THEMSELVES of the Glowforge…

The first few months of Glowforge existing will be hilarious in that group.

20 Likes

Yes, the fact that 1000’s of GFs are being shipped and all the stuff that starts to get cranked out by GFers will absolutely challenge their world concept. - Rich

7 Likes

Yes, would love to see tons of Glowforge created items out on the Facebook pages. Much of what is posted there doesn’t hold a candle to the quality that the non Glowforge laser owners in this forum post. Imagine what everyone here will be able to do with the Glowforge.

It will also be a nice break from the Facebook posts of: How do I fix this? Help, does anyone have a"blue and white" Chinese laser? Mine just stopped working, what do i do?

It’s great that they sometimes can get some help there. Also may be fun for some to tinker with and adjust their lasers but that’s not for me.

Can’t wait for delivery.

10 Likes

No it won’t. They’ll simply disappear into the woodwork and reappear in another forum or blog about some new thing they don’t think will work. It’s the way of their ilk - pontificate about why something can’t happen until it does and then wander off in search of the next victim. They’re never held accountable and they lead extraordinarily non-self-reflective lives so they never learn from the errors of their past prognostications. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

@chrgeup - You mean that 1000s WILL be shipped…they aren’t shipping yet. Until that is confirmed, its just vaporware on both ends.

The really advanced software functionality is what everyone here is excited about, and it will be huge for the novice users to really create some advanced stuff. Having that learning curve be small is one of the big incentives for this product. We still have to see some of the more advanced stuff, and who knows what the competition has - At this point, until its shown and selling, we are in a waiting game.

5 Likes

It sounds like the equivalent of internet Trolls. Some people will be fed by the inevitable “First Hands On Expert Review of Glowforge!” that will be a hatchet job designed shred GF’s reputation. - Rich

4 Likes