Sad news for some international backers

We do. Those testing firms require time from our engineers to get up to speed. We know, because we’re spending that time with them now, and it’s a significant weight on our team.

We are hiring engineers as fast as we can; we’re limited by supply and the time we have for interviewing, not by dollars.

No; I’m afraid that’s not something we can share.

…that’s one of the reasons why we can’t; we could be liable if the information was wrong or misused.

2 Likes

Finally received the delivery email!! but it is another 5 months of waiting…:weary::weary::weary:

April notification date for a Basic to Australia, so potentially May 2018+

ie Another 9 months wait!!!

:frowning_face: :australia:

Yes, don’t forget to add 6 weeks manufacturing time and untold delivery time onto that notification and I’m pretty much up to 6 months as predicted, assuming no further delays.

2 Likes

How is April another nine months? It is less than six months away from where I am looking?

I’m going mad. :grin:

April notification for May delivery = 8 months. Editing original…

April notification, plus 6 weeks build time and however long it takes to ship to Australia.

1 Like

I think the six weeks includes shipping time.

Unfortunately only for non-overseas shipments. I think there’s a Dan response to that effect.

My guess is that they’ll dispatch after the order email in the same timeframe as the U.S. orders, but shipping will take what shipping normally takes for an 80lb. package from a small shipper in northern California.

1 Like

So, if the normal dispatch time from Milpitas to you is 1 week, the six weeks will include it. Anything beyond that (stuck in customs) would be additional.

1 Like

only you have already a couple of lasers you can play around with I really need it for the lab to do some courses. What do you recommend me to get for a lab where I have kids working with the laser.

1 Like

what do you think about this?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/60w-CO2-Lasergraviermaschine-Gravurmaschine-700x500mm-Lasergravur-Engraver-BEST-/152540281691?hash=item23841bfb5b:g:oBAAAOSwiONYNYEc

2 Likes

I’m afraid I can’t advise on machines, my last advice for people was to buy a glowforge and look how badly that turned out.

If you want to import direct from China I would recommend G.Weike because we have a lot of experience with them and know their machines are good.

I wouldn’t risk buying from an ebay seller. They generally don’t know anything about the lasers they are selling and aren’t able to get spares for you. Buy direct, then at least you know who built the machine.

If everyone had bought direct instead of glowforge you’d all have machines that would be working by now and making money from them :slight_smile: 2 years is more than enough time to learn how to use it and how to fix it when it goes wrong.

6 Likes

I think @Dan is planning a family vacation to Australia when this is all over, and is going to hand-deliver them down under.

I wish… Currently seems my GF is on a very slow boat!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ha ha… he might find our criticisms are a little less restrained in person as opposed to a ‘Family’ rated forum.

2 Likes

Yeah, engineers are in super short supply around the US. I had a software engineering job for a senior software J2EE developer with a >$100K salary, where in 1 year I got 4 resumes (3 of which weren’t programmers?). All my friends trying to hire technical staff run into the same thing (I am 1 mile from google and Microsoft research in Kendal Square - so hard to compete with them).

4 Likes

I have a different problem. I get a ton of resumes from engineers listing a chicken soup of buzz words and languages when at best they have superficial knowledge. The interviews are so draining. I’ve also run into cases where a different person taking the phone interview and showed up for the job.

4 Likes

That’s a new one!

We see that - not so much the phone pre-screening but the aptitude and behavioral analysis test they take. (If you don’t fit the profile then you don’t even get an interview.) We’ve seen folks whose scores are off the chart but in person don’t seem to be exhibiting or answering questions consistent with the test results. Take it again and they crash & burn.

1 Like