Sad news for some international backers

Never seen that one, but the experience with every language, compiler and CPU on the planet makes my eyes glaze over. We did have an offer accepted by someone who never showed up. She wouldn’t take calls from her recruiting agency so we never did find out what happened to her. Luckily there were two string candidates for the job and the other guy turned out great.

@dan

1. I’m assuming that cancellations / dropout might mean that those of us who stick it out, see our shipping date get closer. You seem to have hinted at this when pointing out possible fluctuations in this date. So, how often are these new shipping dates updated via the new algorithm?

2. I can understand you not wanting to give us an eta on completion of certifications (I don’t agree with that decision; my boss gets constant forecasts for such things, but those are internal so I do understand your reluctance). However, can you assure those of us who are hanging on that you’ve actually started the CE marking process?

3. Finally, can you please clarify why the delay announcement was last minute again? Until a few days before your announcements made clear that you were optimistic about being able to complete the sending of ‘golden tickets’ before the end of October, and maybe even ship them all too. If Glowforge hadn’t completed any of the required international certifications, I don’t see why this pretence was maintained. I’m hoping you can clarify.

Thanks.

2 Likes

In an interview for a fairly server side heavy software development job we once asked what operating systems the person knew. They said Windows, Mac and Lotus Notes :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

If they had said “Emacs” - I would have hired them on the spot!

6 Likes

No guarantees, but typically several times a week. Note that many updates confirm the model, and don’t result in a change in forecast, so the dates will change less often then they’re updated.

I’m not going to comment on the status of individual initiatives. Harmless though it would be in this case, history’s shown that providing some detail upsets more people (because they wanted different details) than it satisfies (the people who just wanted that detail).

As soon as we completed a new schedule, we announced it. Historically, we only recomputed our schedule when a major deadline approached, since it’s a massive process that consumes the same resources that should be used accelerating the schedule and troubleshooting problems day-to-day. Based on customer requests, we’ve changed that process, and are now recomputing at least weekly. Smoothing out factory operations has made that much more feasible than it ever was before.

If international logistics and compliance had been completed, we’d be shipping already.

Note, by the way, that our forecasts for delays of international shipping are based on the possibility that we still face unknown obstacles - we’re aiming to finish sooner if we can.

2 Likes

Emacs is an excellent operating system, lacking only a good text editor.

10 Likes

Don’t penalize everyone and withhold harmless information just because they’re upset about the fact that you broke your schedule several times. The outrage wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t keep happening. I think the main point and lesson in all of this is that people want to know sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Everyone has every right to be upset with us for missing our production schedule. That isn’t going to affect our policy of not sharing internal milestones, though.

1 Like

I was referring to the “harmless as it may be in this case” and “history’s shown” parts. It would appear this is a new policy if you would have shared this before and now won’t. I don’t personally care about that info but it’s these kind of smug responses that are a massive turn off.

Their policy has always been to not share internal milestones. Nothing has changed.

1 Like

I was responding to his choice of words. I’m aware of what they share and don’t. I’ve been here for 2 years.

I apologize profusely for communicating in a way that came across as smug. That was not my intent.

LOL. I’m going to have to steal this!

(I’m a vim-using sysadmin.)

It’s an old piece of internet for which I claim no authorship. Steal away.

3 Likes

Good evening Dan,

I discovered this post only yesterday and don’t have received the email informing about this. In fact i received the ‘golden ticket’ email but to deliver in USA becauses my address was not updated by the system.

I’am one of the unfortunate people of these countries (Brazil) who is no more part of the Glowforge project. I have buyed a Glowforge Pro.

I should be very angry, furius and disapointed, but being from a land where you don’t have your rights respected, i face this as just another trick of life.

One important thing to highlight is that the major part of the affected countries “BRICS”, etc, have low acess to manufacturing and/or manufactured goods. This is the case of Brazil and as the others south american countries. A equipment like Glowforge is reality modifier for us.

Other point is the financial impact of this unilateral decision. At October 2015 Brazil was passing by a turmoil (still) and the currency’s change was some thing around R$ 4.00 per US$. Now it’s around R$ 3.00 per US$. Plus, we have been taxed by 18% by making a foreign buy. So the refund option will reburces less than 3/4 of the payed value.

At this moment, after 2 years waiting, all i want is this machine, not the money back.

I proposes Glowforge company to rethink about this decision. Think this as a solidary action to this countries where people only can imagine have acess to a equipment like Glowforge. Keep our dream alive as when we have believed in you 2 years ago.

An another option to think is the possibility of deliver Glowforge in USA and help in some way with the export / import actions. Like indicating some company who can make this kind of job.

I hope for the best.

6 Likes

I wish I had better news, but I’m afraid we don’t have any changes planned.

would one, in theory, be able to have it delivered to stackry in the US and then shipped from there to one of the “doomed countries”? obviously taking into consideration that the glowforge warranty doesn’t extend to international shipping? and then just take out insurance and close your eyes and hope for the best? #askingforafriend lol.

A company just isn’t going to ship something like the glowforge someplace they don’t have regulatory approval. They are also very unlikely to help you subvert your country’s rules. Shipping to an address in the US, on the other hand, and letting you do what you want from there is no problem. One member (an airline pilot) had his shipped to Miami and he paid taxes on a laser printer when he returned to his home country. Several Canadians have had theirs shipped to private mailbox companies in the US, driven across the border and paid import duty without a problem.

Flying to the US, much less driving, is probably not an option for you. But I would think that there is some sort of trade in “freight forwarders” for Brazil. You would be at risk that they are 1) reputable and 2) your glowforge doesn’t get impounded in customs. It is the only thing I can think of to save your glowforge.

This assumes Brazil uses the same style of electric grid as a country where the glowforge will ship.

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t offer any advice here other than to say that we’re happy to deliver it wherever you’d like it delivered, as long as it’s a location we can support.

5 Likes

For all the @Dan statement parsers out there, that’s probably the nicest thing I’ve seen in weeks.

Take that FNLs :slight_smile:

7 Likes