Sadness

There is so much free information on here… it seems a bit silly to complain that there aren’t more free designs, especially if you aren’t sharing your own. I agree that the how-to’s are more valuable anyway. I’d rather be able to make my own designs and the tutorials have helped immensely.

7 Likes

Perhaps a few exceptions, but very few…I do use purely functional designs that are offered for free…things that I really would never even think of on my own, like the fasten down clip thingys for the honeycomb which are fabulous. Or perhaps a hanger for the back of something. Stuff like that. It’s MUCH more gratifying for other things to figure out how to design them and execute them yourself. I hope that you will discover the joy it brings to learn how to design. Best of luck to you.

5 Likes

Wow, how rude. Sorry i tried to inspire creativity. Not worth posting even.

2 Likes

I’ll be happy to post the files for my incredibly amateurish phone stand that I made as an exercise while learning Fusion 360 if you really want it. :grin:

3 Likes

Always post anything usable, I’ve posted several that I thought would be revived almost as a joke and they turned out to be very popular. So yes, post it and let the community decide.

6 Likes

I think his point is that it works both ways and to maybe even inspire creativity in you to post some free designs?

8 Likes

That was how I read it but I understand that something could have be lost in translation.

1 Like

So the guidelines say that we can’t go after tone (so technically you’re in violation of the forum policies at this point), but I will take it as a question as to what I meant.

Click here for the relevant portion if you can't be bothered to read the whole thing

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned thoughts and explanations that improve the conversation.

But I don’t really mind about all that, sometimes people just don’t like me and that’s ok. So, to answer your (charitably) implied question, it was mostly intended the way @jbmanning5 said, but also a bit to highlight the irony that comes with posting a “nobody ever gives me free stuff” on your part.

I believe that if you are going to come onto the forum and broadly proclaim that people aren’t contributing enough for your liking it should probably not be just the second thread you’ve ever started… it’s just a bad look.

Was this worth posting?

16 Likes

Also just want to say that many folks may just be too busy creating items for gifts or holiday shows and don’t have too much extra time right now for posting?

4 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q="free+laser"+svg&oq="free+laser"+svg

Approximately 21,800 results. You will be busy for a while if you try to go through those…

7 Likes

The designs i have are for helping the valve on my air tank or wedges for the wheels of my wheelchair. I’m terminally ill so I don’t get much of a chance to use mine or design. I really wasn’t complaining or begging for free stuff. I completely regret posting. Best to everyone, have a good holiday.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t worry about it…creativity tends to pick up after the holiday season, and really slows down between Thanksgiving and New Years. (As a general rule…people are just busy with family and friends.)

It will pick back up again. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have MS and am in a wheelchair, so this may be useful. You never know what people need.

11 Likes

There is a whole thread about this sort of thing:

I’d love to see what you’ve come up with, if you feel comfortable sharing.

4 Likes

I’m going to say this once. If you reread my original post, never once did I ask for free stuff nor infer it. YOU took it wrong and blew it totally out of proportion. The basis for the post was, when i first got here, i looked through and followed conversations and saw things like, “ hey it’s not very good but… “ then someone coming along and saying “ hey can i modify this? I think it’d be more functional …” whatever. It touched me that the people in this “community (right) worked like that. It SPARKED CREATIVITY. I thought it was awesome. So to me i was sad to see the board slow down.

Now that said, i will make no more apologies to you or anyone else. If you want to discuss “tone” and forum policy, do it with a moderator. Don’t infer to threaten me with rules, especially when you didn’t ask me about my intent first. You sir, are a rude, arrogant personality. I apologize to the rest of the community for this thread. THIS is why I don’t usually post.

Moderators, if you feel the need to ban me, please do.

1 Like

If my vote counts, I’d say don’t flag or ban for anything. I’m not offended, navenya is within his/her rights to read me as fully rude.

You’re not going to apologize, I’m not going to defend myself to you. We just disagree, which is ok.

As for creativity, there’s plenty of it being sparked in MOAG and BTM and Everything Else. If anyone is looking for it, I’d read those topics instead of here since this is not as busy as other parts of the forum.

5 Likes

There are no mods. Well, not in the traditional sense. We basically self-mod and let staff know when we think there’s an issue by flagging an offending post.

Fact is, there are reasons people don’t post their particular works. For example, some artists have had their designs altered without permission or straight up stolen. As mentioned above, teaching technique is often a better answer than being handed a fully fleshed out (and meticulously crafted) design.

11 Likes

Since this topic has indeed attracted a few flags, and since it’s a requirement of the FLD category that the thread start with a FLD, I’m going to close this thread.

2 Likes