Saving Files in GF

So I had this big discussion in the FB group about this to the point I had to stop talking because she was not understanding me.

I have files on my computer that I have saved… I import those files into GF. I want to be able to save this file if I have done edits to it. Where in the app are these files save… How do you save them.

She tried to convince me that they are saved in the “cloud” ah yeah I know that and that is not the issue. If they are saved, where do I go to retrieve them? What area in the app do I find files I have previously used and are now saved or a draft of. She could not answer me and it got very frustrating trying to get the right answer… So I figured I would come here.

Every change you make to the file while it’s opened in the GFUI is saved automatically. When you close the file, any changes made are saved along with it. When you reopen that file, the changes will be there.

However, you cannot download those changes to your computer to save a separate copy of them, so for that reason…if you are making changes to your own files, it’s better to do it in your outside design software before uploading it to the Glowforge interface.

Does that explain it? We aren’t given a choice now. (That was something early customers were begging for, and Glowforge accommodated them.) :slightly_smiling_face:

You do have the option of just creating a copy of your original file in the Dashboard if you know you are going to make changes to it, and the system will then save the original and the modified copy. But you have to make the copy first. (Click the carat in the upper righthand corner of the thumbnail, and click Create Copy. Any modifications will be saved to the open copy.)

6 Likes

But when I go back to open the file in glowforge where is it? I close my window the file is gone. Where is it?

I go open a file now I go to the folder and open it. Same in Cameo or even Design Space. I can save it as a name and open it? Where are those files? Let’s think of Dropbox cloud based storage I can go and grab the file where are these files in the GF app?

You don’t have access to those files in the way you are thinking. The files are stored on GF storage, and you can access them by logging into your account at app.glowforge.com to use them with the GF. You cannot download them from the GF storage to use elsewhere.

Once you have finished with a file, you can go back to the “app” home screen by clicking the Home button with the text HOME on it. This will show you a list of all your uploaded files that you can then open for use with the GF. This only shows files that have been previously uploaded to the “app”, it does not show any files stored on your cloud storage service or on your PC or other device.

There is also a small down arrow symbol in the upper right corner of each file icon that gives you some additional options for the files, but downloading it to your PC/device is not one of them.

I believe that GF uses Google cloud services for this storage, but I am not certain. This is only the provider of the storage, GF has not granted access to your files for download or for viewing except through the GF “app” at the link provided above.

5 Likes

They are on your Dashboard. It’s the only place you can open them from, and they open directly into the user interface. You might need to scroll down a bit and click on View All to see them, the Dashboard only shows the most recent ones you were working on.

4 Likes

I go open a file now I go to the folder and open it. Same in Cameo or even Design Space.

I think I understand what you are saying, but the GFUI is not a stand-alone program like Cameo or DS. It can load files from your local computer’s drive, but cannot save them back to your computer.

I can save it as a name and open it? Where are those files?

When you save your workspace, those files are stored on a remote server controlled by GF. You do not have direct access to those files.

Let’s think of Dropbox cloud based storage I can go and grab the file where are these files in the GF app?

Dropbox is not a valid analogy. The only access you have to the files that you have uploaded into the GFUI is to reopen them, rename them, duplicate them, or delete them in the GFUI. There is no way to save them back to your computer, so there is no way that you can reopen them in Cameo or Design Space.

Standard Disclaimer: This is intended as a non-authoritative but hopefully-helpful answer to your post. I’m am not a GF employee, just a customer with a Basic.

7 Likes

Ok so this is what I was doing uploading the SVG in the app itself - where you tell what material you using etc… No one ever said I had to go into the design library upload it there and thats where it saves it… I wish there were a manual or something to direct us to those things…

See no one never said I should be uploading to the Dashboard… I was uploading directing in the app where the cutting bed is… I got it now… this is similar to how “Cricut” Design Space works…

Thanks!

1 Like

Right no I get that but I’m like how do I go back and access or save the file to use again. I had to bring it into the dashboard not just upload artwork in the app. I can’t save from there only if the file is in the Dashboard…

When you upload to the “app”, the artwork is added to the workspace where the material image is shown and where you can put in your settings.

When you are done with that project, click Home. You will see the project you just worked on saved there, along with every other project you have done. The “app” saves as you go, there is no need to save it manually. When you click on the project to open it, the project will be in exactly the same state as it was when you closed it by clicking on Home.

I think you are overthinking it, and it sounds like you may have skipped the tutorials from GF on how to use the machine.

4 Likes

As Ben mentioned, if you haven’t done so, it might be really helpful to work through all three sections of “Learn By Doing: Your First Prints” as this is all covered there as well.

Good Luck!

7 Likes

Like this one? https://glowforge.com/support/topic/manual-support-topic/manual-article :innocent:

7 Likes

Yes thank you I will download on my computer tomorrow.

How do you even get into the workspace with a blank project? The only options available at app.glowforge.com / Design Library are to upload, trace, or open an existing design. Your last image shows just that as well:

Not that I want or need to - I just saw your graphic and now wonder if the OP has also stumbled on a way to open the workspace directly.

1 Like

I have no idea how I got there but I did

I think you could get there by deleting all of the elements from an existing project, but I can’t figure out a way to do it otherwise.

2 Likes

When I first started, I was unaware of the home screen and kept reusing the same project file over and over by deleting the previous contents and uploading new ones. It was a major “aha!” moment when I realized I was doing it wrong!

5 Likes

At least I know I am not the only one and I wouldn’t even know this if I weren’t wondering about where the files are actually stored.

1 Like

[quote=“geek2nurse, post:17, topic:44630, full:true”]
When I first started, I was unaware of the home screen and kept reusing the same project file over and over by deleting the previous contents and uploading new ones.[/quote]

But how were you getting into the workspace without going thru the design library (home page) first?

hey! i was the one trying to explain this to you yesterday on FB. i assumed you went through the dashboard, so I was talking from that point on. Sorry if I confused you. I assumed you got it when you stopped responding.

2 Likes