Scan gap: similar to LPI?

i can definitely see the better detail there.

i agree, i think the scripts are a good starting point and, for some photos, will probably be good enough depending on what you want to do.

for a lot of people who don’t have the PS knowledge to really get into the details, they will put them way ahead of the game.

for people who know photo editing, they’re a good guide/starting point for what kind of processing you want/need to do to get a good etch.

and that’s not counting the whole “GIGO” factor. start with a good photo and do some of your own editing to get the levels/curves where they ought to be.

i want to think about how i might create some standard, non-destructive adjustment layers that could be tweaked based on the image instead of just running the script. maybe set them up with some of the script defaults to start, but then be able to just tweak each layer to really get the best result before either exporting as GS or dithering to bitmap.

1 Like

Dunno what you’re talking about… this is a 100x100px image from Google Images that was saved at quality 30 :joy:

I’d be tempted to get some tiles and play around, but what the hell do people actually do with tiles? They seem to be getting some really high detail out of them though!

1 Like

i have some from playing around with the vector tile stuff a while back. it’s super cheap to test on, with 4" tiles costing $.12. and a few cents worth of spraypaint.

you can frame or mount them in something.

I just created my own. A different method of sharpening than unsharp mask. Everything completely non-destructive.

Little further in:

1 Like

Sweet. looks like i can see a little better detail in there. especially in the clouds. did you adjust curves/levels to make it a little more contrasty, too? seems like i see more contrast in the foreground.

just finished a higher DPI run (smaller pic because the original image wasn’t big enough).

so left is new 3.5" image. grayscale 450dpi image, settings: 450lpi, 1000 speed, 50 power, dots 1-75.

right is old 4.5" image. was done with the paintshop pro script, not the PS action, dithered. 300dpi, 340 lpi, and i think (damn me for not writing it on the back) at 1000 speed and 75 power, dots 1-100.

both on baltic birch 1/8".

shirt and background are way way better with the new 3.5" version. i think eyes and hair are better with the old one.

sigh

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.