Scorch marks

For the life of me i cannot get the cut clean . I Put it on white acrylic setting . I have cleaned both fans and all lens . It still is making the black marks so bad that it is turning the white acrylic black and brown on the edges . Any clue why ?

1 Like

If it were me I would switch to the dish soap masking method and elevate the acrylic.

12 Likes

Interesting ā€¦ do i take off the masking paper off the acrylic before i put soap on ?

2 Likes

Yes. Thatā€™s the whole idea. It protects the surface of your acrylic but then just rinses off after the job is over

6 Likes

Thank you I will give this a try :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Elevating the acrylic also helps protect from the ā€œflashbackā€ as the laser bounces off the crumb tray. I used to do this a lot to avoid marring the back of the clear acrylic I was cutting.

8 Likes

How do i do that sorry

3 Likes

There was a detailed post about elevating it that I already linked here. Iā€™ll post it again, since you missed it in the other reply.

10 Likes

Also donā€™t forget to use ā€œset focusā€ .

6 Likes

I do set focus everytime. i am wondering if the one thing didnt get put back in right inside the head possibly?

1 Like

Are you 100% certain your material is actually acrylic? It doesnā€™t typically turn brown unless itā€™s on fire - as in active flames. And if you have active flames you should really be watching closely and putting them out immediately.

3 Likes

If the focus lens in the head is in upside down it casts a wider beam I have read.

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad you reposted this. I missed it, or it was before I got my GF. Iā€™m definitely making some of these today, as I use acrylic a lot.

@sherriemarie1976, the dish soap also prevents the little ridges on the cuts that the masking leaves. And if you want to paint any engravings on your acrylic, use @evansd2ā€™s other method of using wood glue to cover your acrylic. It peels off easily and doesnā€™t allow seepage like masking does. Iā€™d link it, but not sure how to do that. Just search ā€œusing wood glue as maskingā€ and itā€™s the first one that pops up.

7 Likes

You know in theory, (most) wood glue is water soluble. You could in theory just throw your woodglue-masked acrylic into some water and wait a bit. Probably rinse right off after a while.

3 Likes

Didnā€™t know that. But then Iā€™d probably worry that it would loosen any paint as well. Besides, itā€™s fun pulling and picking it off! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Guess what I discovered today?! I was making something today to submit to the catalog and did one in medium clear acrylic. First I made a bunch of the little acrylic ā€œliftersā€ out of scrap 1/4" wood that @evansd2 shared the link for above. I used the dish soap on both sides of my acrylic (habit to do both sides), placed my acrylic on the little lifters, and cut out my project, which had both scoring and engraving. Without washing off the dish soap, I went ahead and used my acrylic craft paints to fill in the different colors I wanted and went ahead and gave it a few minutes to dry. I then used a very lightly damp paper towel and wiped off all the paint. It came off the flat surfaces easily and stayed in the engraved/scored areas! The acrylic lifts worked perfectly, the dish soap did its thing, and I now have a favorite way to engrave and color-fill acrylic! Win-win!

15 Likes

That is amazing! I may have to try this the next time I am painting an engrave on acrylic!

3 Likes

Nice, youā€™re rediscovered liquid masking, awesome that the paint was blocked by the soap. I look forward to other people trying it to see how repeatable it is.

5 Likes

Not new, but new to me! Thanks for posting this.

1 Like

Me too. We were out all day today so I havenā€™t had time to play and do something else with it. Hopefully tomorrow. And on a larger scale of something. Think Iā€™ll make myself a nice keychain or something. Oh wait, I donā€™t carry keys at all! We have push button start for our truck, and electronic keypads for our house doors. I havenā€™t carried any keys since I quit Loweā€™s, and that was only one key for my locker. :rofl: Iā€™ll have to think of something else. Maybe Iā€™ll make a couple for our daughter and granddaughter.

2 Likes