Scoring creates double lines

Hi guys! I created this design and am trying to upload it as an svg to Glowforge so that I can score it. However, whenever I print it creates a double line instead of a single one (see images). I know it has to be the file but I’m stumped on how to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Here’s the process of the design and upload:
Created the design in Procreate > Uploaded to Adobe Illustrator > Traced the image (using Image Trace feature, using these settings: black and white logo, ignore white) > Exported as svg > Uploaded to GF > Prints with double lines

I’ve been trying to figure this one out but I have no idea how to fix it. I would love to use the scoring since it’s remarkably faster than engraving (engraving is 2+ hours vs. the scoring at about 10 minutes). Have any of you run into this and have found a solution?

Thanks!

close up of double lines

Bethany

1 Like

Without seeing the file i cant say for sure, however to me it seems like your lines in your file may be set to be two lines with a fill. In your file I’d be sure that there is no fill selected and only stroke. Otherwise another option may be to engrave instead of score? Just my immediate thoughts.

6 Likes

Share the file and someone will fix it and tell you how they did it.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your response! Yes, you are absolutely correct. When I did image trace, it automatically selected ‘create fills’ and I never toggled it off. I’m playing around with it now, using the strokes option. I will test and report back!

2 Likes

In 2D design, there are “strokes” and “paths”. Paths are the basic lines that effectively represent where the “pen” went, but “strokes” are styles applied to that path, that represent “weight” (thickness) and such, also features like dashes.

The Glowforge interface only understands paths, the basic lines. However, depending on settings, sometimes the outline of a stroke is converted to a path, so you end up with a more intricate path than intended.

In Inkscape, for example, you can switch to an “outline” view that exposes the raw paths. It’s then obvious what you will be uploading to the GF to print.

5 Likes

I think this might be one of the quirks when you trace line art in Inkscape. It traces each line, creating an outline around the line. I am by no means an expert on this, but I think you generally have to go in an delete one set of lines. I use Silhouette Studio for tracing because it is more intuitive to me so I can’t remember much more than that.

3 Likes

That may be a really good option. Do you have to pay a monthly membership in order to export SVGs out of Silhouette Studio?

No. You have to upgrade to the business version, though. It’s usually $99, but I think it’s on sale for $50-ish at Swing Design right now.

You can also use it to easily create offset cutlines.

3 Likes

Forgive the masking that’s not fully removed :slight_smile:

I was able to make it to a single score line although the process is a bit clunkier and doesn’t render the design as well. There would need to be a lot of cleaning up. Here’s the process for anyone that needs it in the future.

Here’s the updated process of the design and upload:
Created the design in Procreate > Uploaded to Adobe Illustrator > Traced the image (using Image Trace feature, using these settings: line art, create: strokes, ignore white) > Exported as svg > Uploaded to GF > Prints with single lines.

I had to mess quite a bit with the threshhold, paths, and noise and it’s still not perfect but as you can see, it is a single line!

As @ChristyM suggested, I’m going to try it in Silhouette Studio and see how clean it renders the design and I’ll update again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m checking this out for sure!

You can use the free version to see if you like it before you purchase.

1 Like

Glad to see you’re getting it to work! :grinning:

Illustrator for iPad is available, if you start your drawing in vector you can avoid all the double converting and double lines. (I adore Procreate but it just isn’t right for any kind of vector work)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.