Scraps

I’m not sure what other people do with their tiny scraps, but I can’t let anything go to waste. These are some walnut hardwood and maple veneer scraps that I turned into gift tags. (I didn’t have a banana handy, so I used a SIM for scale.)

And the remaining scraps. (More gift tags tomorrow!)

29 Likes

SIMs are clearly the bananas of the future! - and beautiful work!
“Tags” like that end up hanging on my tree :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Very cool :heart_eyes: There are several threads about scraps and what we do with them.

4 Likes

Those look very nice! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Those are lovely!

I’ve been making tiny pet portrait pins :laughing:

12 Likes

I have so many scraps… and too many ideas! :slight_smile:

They look awesome!

1 Like

Adorable!

4 Likes

I gave all my scraps away when we moved. Looking forward to making new ones!

6 Likes

When I saw the title “Scraps” I thought “Yeah, I make a lot of them on the GF too” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So, serious scrap tip here. I try and make scraps cut out to be the same size. Not in an OCD way, but if it makes sense.

So I have (a) a lot of strips that are consistent 420mm long and 85mm wide. A lot of rectangles at 297 x 77mm.

The benefit of this approach is that I can make designs that will work to those sizes, instead of messing around trying to fit them into odd shaped bits of wood.

It also means they store well too, since they are all the same size they make proper stacks.

6 Likes

Now that is some lovely scrap!

As a computer science guy, I use a greedy algorithm. I regularly cut lots of different shapes and I try to minimize the amount of scrap based on the shape used. If I must have scrap, I try to maximize the size of the scrap.

In my scrap photo, you can see the rectangle that I cut out for the word “Hack”. All I had was a narrow strip that was a little too small for most of the shapes I cut. And the circles used for “Joy” were the unused middle discs from some large rings I had previously cut.

(And yes, I have a jar full of little stars from the cut-out holes that are in need of a project.)

2 Likes

God grant me the gift of being able to throw away little bits of identical scrap that are really no use to man nor beast but I must keep because they are all the same.

7 Likes

LOL! This community absolutely cracks me up at times :rofl:

3 Likes