Searching for simple glue-on slot stand -?

Voila, easel-type stand! It’s like magic.

1 Like

Here is a back piece I made in the past. It allows the triangle piece to rotate (almost) flat or stick out at 90°. I created it in Inkscape. You may be able to modify this for your use?
Edit: I was using .120" material.
Picture frame stand up backing

6 Likes

@eflyguy and @evansd2 An easel won’t work for this project because I need something invisible from the front, & as minimal/flat as possible (so that it could lay flat and be mailed in an envelope). But thank you! I appreciate the help.

I swear I’ve seen this…when my migraine’s over I’ll try to design/make it.

This is very close to what I’m thinking of. Thanks! Do you happen to have a photo of what it looks like in use/assembled? It may be a little more complicated than what I need, but this is a great design! :+1:t3:

1 Like

The first time I saw the pattern was here:

It was one of the few/first free designs I cut. Not saying you didn’t post one, but the catalog design more matches this one.

2 Likes

I really don’t care enough to be worried about it, but it’s why I’ll never post designs “for sale”. The last modified date of the file on my laptop is Dec 2017, which is right around the time I got my GF…

1 Like

This is the closest photo I can find of what I need…but I want to add a rectangular piece with a slot to glue on the back, so that the triangular piece can slide in and out (to make it removable).

3 Likes

It’s not that unique a concept. The first one I saw here was posted by a girl who was in school for design/architecture at a college I believe was on the east coast. She pops back on once in a long while but her name escapes me now. It’ll likely come to me in the middle of the night though. The description might be enough for @rpegg though because his memory is more real-time than mine :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Working off @beerfaced it sounds like at the most basic you’re looking for this:

Picture frame stand up backing_V2

This has no locking mechanism, but it wouldn’t be too hard to make one with some slots and a cross beam.

4 Likes

Don’t think it’s what they were looking for but do you mean Steph - Architect UVA? Picture Stand

1 Like

This is what I was thinking.

1 Like

Sorry I don’t have a photo as I sent it off as a gift for someone.

1 Like

Would attaching your triangular support to the back with a hinge instead of making it removable from a slot work for your application? Fold out to stand up. Fold in to be flat.

1 Like

Would a premade stick on cardboard easel back work?

Lineco Self-Stick Easel Back, 9 inches, Black, Package of 25 (328-3331)

2 Likes

This was the closest to what I was looking for. I drew a modified triangle and made the rectangular piece open at the bottom. :+1:t3: Thank you for helping!

Yep. Spot on. This wasn’t what the OP was looking for but it was the first stand I recall seeing posted here. It lacks the swoops of some of the other versions like @eflyguy & @Janerlea 's designs but just shows that there isn’t anything really innovative in the concept.

Ok, so I just got home and drew something that will do the job. (SUPER simple for someone who knows Inkscape, but I haven’t mastered drawing shapes yet, so you don’t even want to see the actual “file” which is made up of single lines LOL). But hey! It does what I want (I just would like it a little wider, for aesthetic reasons.)

I tested it with scraps…the actual project will be a bigger (4x6) piece of wood. This way I can slide out the triangle, mail the 2 pieces flat in an envelope, & then my friend can slide the triangle in when she wants to display it. Yay!

Thank you all for helping!! I seriously love this group!!

12 Likes

Well now that’s just nifty! Great job!

3 Likes

That’s great! Serves the purpose you intended and looks nice too.

I was thinking another possible solution would be to make a thin rectangle to act like a dowel and have a place to insert it at the bottom. My only concern would be storing or losing the piece when you remove it.

Or with your current method (someone mentioned this above) add another rectangle with the same outer profile, but thinner inner profile, under the current one you made. It won’t allow it to lay as flat, but if the recipient wanted to hang it on the wall, it would create a groove for a screw or nail head to hold onto.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.